[lit-ideas] Re: How Obscure Can He Get? (Was: Shakespeare's 'Patience on ...

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:52:40 EDT

Thanks for M. Chase providing the schema of the argument (or  'schemata', as
Eric Idle would say, in Greek) -- which concludes:

>Therefore, there are occasions when Shakespeare did use
>obscure allusions. And the case of sitting on a rock, clearly  a
>reference to the emblematic tradition, is one of them.

It's ironic you should use 'clearly' when the thing under discussion is
'obscurity' in Shakespeare.

I agree with Chase that possibly Shakespeare (= Bacon) possibly could  _care_
(no) less about what the Globe audiences would _catch_ (or fail to catch,
for that matter).

In general, he is not obscure; but in particular, he is.

Cheers,

JL

    Refs.
    Geary, J. M. Obscure Symbols in Shakespeare: Their  Meaning and
Signification. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press [private  publication].