[lit-ideas] Re: How Kitsch You Can Get

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 19:25:02 -0400

**Derived from the German verkitschen etwas, kitsch means to 'knock
something off'. Today it is synonymous with objects of bad taste that
are so bad they're good in an ironic way. In the fifties and sixties
kitsch was -and still is - highly collectable. Kitsch can be anything
from flying ducks to Tretchikoff paintings and Elvis toilet roll holders.

www2.thny.bbc.co.uk/homes/glossary/glossary_k.shtml

TC,

/Steve Cameron, NJ