[lit-ideas] Re: How Clearly Can A Student Demonstrate Their Thinking?

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 03:27:43 -0700 (PDT)

At the eve of Digital Area, it's about time we get rid
of such fuzzy concepts as "think", "paint" or "like,
duh." We are embarking on a journey to conquer the
final frontier, human-computer interface, in order to
achieve perfect cybernetic existence

The problem with humans is that human language is
awfully vague. Computers on the other hand, having
done away with corruptive notion of "meaning", operate
with unambigous and precise logical language.
Therefore we need less vague humans.

In order to fully school the new generation, it is
necessary to do away with such antiquated forms of
testing as essays along with modern, but also behind
times method of multiple choice questions. Teachers
must achieve methods of interregation, er... testing
that include only questions that can only be answered
yes or no. For example, "I have stopped taking useless
philosophy courses."

In the next phase, questions are replaced by
statements of facts. Such as "Heidegger is full of
it." Pupils must be able to answer "yes". However,
should a student be unable to utter "yes", other
affirmative statements such as "yeah", "uh, yeah,
guess so" and "ay, ay" along with nods, and alike
gestures also qualify as the answer.

We will soon automate the testing process by using
Testing Device 5000, which accordingly has 5000 keys,
of which everyone single one corresponds to "yes". If
students have no fingers at all or are unable to use
them, they can simply bang their head, feet, or other
fbp (functioning body part) against the keyboard.
Teachers are not only allowed but also encouraged to
help students by banging them against the keyboard. We
are in the process of securing funding for Testing
Device 100 000 which will be installed on entrance
floor, in order to the processes of entering college
and passing tests from linear to paraller execution.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail