[lit-ideas] Re: Honor: A History

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 12:29:11 -0400

I think it's saying something that the first line talks about the youngest
children, what the youngest children know.  Therefore, honor is something
patterned after what the youngest children know and do, and using it as an
excuse to have a fight is, well, childish.  How about adults?  What do adults
know and do?  Is there a reason why adults tell children not to fight, send
them to their rooms, put them in time out?  If you are so enamored of honor,
then honor killings by the mob and by fathers of chlidren who "disgrace" them
must seem perfectly natural.  One of the hallmarks of being an adult is
learning to rein in childish impulses to hit somebody, which honor discourages.
 Honor is such a ridiculous idea that it should be expunged from the
vocabulary, let alone have it dictate policy.