[lit-ideas] Re: Homeland defense

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:55:47 -0800

On Feb 24, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

Early in 1942 a rumor rapidly spread one evening in the small Western Oregon town where I grew up, that the 'Japanese fleet' was twelve miles (I remember this number) off the coast near the mouth of the Columbia River.

Which was about the only spot between San Francisco and the Canadian border that was well guarded by coastal artillery. No one said, "Now wait a minute, surely before they gathered within twelve miles of the mouth of the Columbia River they'd have had to have pounded the bejesus out of Fort Stephens? And we might have heard that, or at least heard something on the radio?"

Where, by the way, was the air force?  Portland?

David Ritchie,
active member of Dad's Army in
Portland, Oregon