[lit-ideas] Re: Hobbes's Proof

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:31:15 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2011 6:50:50,  donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
If so, why does JLS fail to see how this  can prove anything?

----

Perhaps we need to be reminded of the  Sources. Geary knows the Thora. And
he has a semi-completed biography of  Moses.

In those days (with no digital watches), it is unlikely that he  (Moses)
would have pinpoint to a specific time ("Moses died at 1:51 a.m.").  Without
Greenwich having been discovered, precise location in terms of Long. and
Lat. is also unlikely. Perhaps what we find is some vague statement  like,

"Moses felt dizzy; the next morning he was dead."

------ In  fact, Moses would be the first to know of possible causes for
his demise. Yet,  Hobbes is given credit for having conclusively shown that
the  Thora

"could not have been written by Moses since they include a  reference to
Moses".

The argument seems to rely on a case of 'petitio  principii':

"Moses is dead," said Moses.

It's like Moore's  paradox, "It is raining, but I don't believe it". What
Yost calls a 'pragmatic  contradiction' (His example is the ITM lady who asks
him, "Can I ask you a  question?"). But if it is a _pragmatic_
contradiction, it is not a LOGICAL  contradiction.

Plus, we don't know if the two "Moses" are  co-referential.

The "Moses" referred to in the Thora may be a different  Moses from the
Moses in Exodus, say. (After all, it is likely that a lot of  mothers called
their children "Moses" after the 'famous'  one).

Etc.

Speranza