[lit-ideas] Re: Hmmm... all hype?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:50:47 +0900

Julie,

The McCreerys have been the proud owners and users of a Roomba for it
must be going on two years. We have been quite happy with the little
beast. It does not replace the need for occasional manual cleaning of
corners but does a nice job of keeping the floor of our small, open
plan apartment clean. It was particularly useful before our Persian
cats died, an easy way to keep ourselves from getting ankle-deep in
fur during shedding season.

It is, by the way, amusing to watch in operation. The algorithm that
controls its motions begins with a random search to work out the
dimensions of the space it is cleaning, so it starts out like Mr.
Magoo, shooting off in odd directions, bumping its nose into things,
from which it recoils like a sentient billiard ball, spinning and
zooming off until it runs into something else.

John

On 2/12/07, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx <JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx> wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roomba-iRobot-Discovery-4310-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-4210_W0QQitemZ190081082758QQihZ009QQcategoryZ124101QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just curious to know if anyone out there has attempted to use one of these
things and if it's as totally worthless as I imagine it to be.

Julie Krueger
wanting to hang up the vacuum and mop....

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN