[lit-ideas] Re: Hitler/Stalin

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 03:06:16 -0400

Donal: "thick nutters"
Mike: Look, we didn't make those people sick.

Lately I've made friends with people from other countries. Here are generalizations about Americans based on their remarks.

*Americans are kinder than people from South America, more willing to help strangers, more generous in principle, and more effective in action. *Americans are more interested in solving social problems than Europeans. *Americans are less materialistic than Russians and have healthier family lives. *Americans, all agree, are routinely criticized because (in the words of _1066 & All That_) they are the "top nation," and the criticism is just as rooted in jealousy as it is in fact.

My opinion, on the other hand, is that everyone is just who they are, and it's up to each of us to be that way.

Rejecting both masochism and exceptionalism,
Bonzo