[lit-ideas] Re: Hitler Meets A Christmas Story

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:17:06 -0500

Now why would they need to do this?

>   Hitler actually
> > despised his own people once it was clear that the
> > war was lost.  They were weak; they deserved to die.
> >  These are his words.
>
> Non sequitur

Tell it to Hitler.  These are his own words.

> > AA.  I guess if you get your butt kicked it could
> > have a way of toning things down.  But not for gas
> > station owners.
>
> Sorry a gas station owner was nasty to you.  Some
> Russians were nasty to me when I was in Leningrad, but
> I didn't infer anything about Russians in general from
> that; I suggest you try not to infer anything from
> such instances.

Actually, he wasn't nasty to me.  He was quite nice to me.  So nice, in
fact, I had to stop going there.  Perhaps he was just a rogue German.  He
just happened to not like Russians.

> > M.G.  I have no idea how wide-spread the acceptance
> > of Nazi racial superiority was among the German
> > people during the 20's, 30's and 40's.
> >(etc.)
>

> > AA.  Well, there was enough to fuel WWII.
>

> *Why don't you read some history*, Irene?

*Why don't you say something instead of doing personal attacks,*  Judy?

>  The rest
> > of it sounds like we're in agreement.  People simply
> > hate people.  Nearly all people, nearly all the
> > time.  Irish need not apply, etc.
>
> Then you haven't read Mike's post.  (I find most
> people don't hate most people, and I live in a very
> "multicultural" city and neighbourhood.)

I'm talking historically.

> > AA.   Yup.
>
> I'd say there was a lot of Social Darwinism in British
> Imperialism; but to apply it further, without proof,
> is wrong.

So the British had it all sewed up with Social Darwinism, did they?

> > M.G.  I'd say the need to have a place where you
> > could be a Jew and not be hated for that was at the
> > heart of the Zionism.
> >

> > AA.  No doubt.  But Israel was conceived before
> > WWII.  Before WWI in fact.
>

> Yes indeed -- but then Jews were hated and persecuted
> long before then.

The scapegoat/victim thing.  It all starts with beating of children of all
nationalities and religions.  Let's stop creating defective humans who are
filled with rage that need to dump it somewhere.

> It was essentially a
> > 19th century idea, take somebody's land for
> > yourself.  Think it would work today?
>
> I suggest you look at the arguments of Zionists in
> those decades.

Answer the question.  Think it would work today?

> > AA.  And/or politics.  I don't know that people who
> > order the dropping of atomic bombs are overrun with
> > remorse or guilt.
>
> I agree but think you've misunderstood Mike's point

Which is?

> > AA.   Complicated, of course, because people are
> > generally heartless.
>

> *No*, Irene,*all too easy*, for you, because you
> ascribe everything to human viciousness and lack of
> empathy, which you appear to think universal.  Matters
> get complicated when explanations take into account a
> variety of factors

And you are an apologist for vicious behavior.

> (I add that you confuse, here, complex explanations
> and complex situations, so fail to reply to Mike)

While you tell me nothing except that I'm wrong.

> > M.G. Nevertheless, justice should be striven for,
> > Palestinians should be compensated for their losses.
> >

> > AA.  Sure got me on how to do that.
>
> Payment for lost homes?

Where would the homes be located?

> > AA.   Napoleon is considered a
> > great general.  Ever think he might be a mass
> > murderer?  Probably, like everybody, Napoleon is
> > synonymous with greatness for you.
>

> I don't know anyone for whom Napoleon is synonymous
> with greatness.

Are you kidding?  He's synonymous with victory.  Everybody wants victory.

For some here, Churchill is/was
> synonymous with greatness, but there are also many who
> loathe/d him and what he stood for.  (Indeed, as you
> may know, the soldiers came home from war and, with
> others, voted him out of office and voted in a
> government that -- I should qualify this slightly,
> still... -- founded a welfare state.)

That's probably true.  Churchill is too recent.  He's also doesn't have
enough, what's the word, egomaniacal qualities to ensure "greatness".

>  Every once in a
> > great while, yes, great while, there's some empathy,
> > but even in A Christmas Story one kid beats another
> > bloody, and people, meaning the audience (this movie
> > is wildly popular) as well as the kids in the story,
> > think it's a hoot.  Yes, empathy.
>

> Do you believe you have empathy, Irene?

I don't make apologies for vicious behavior, let's put it that way.

Andy

Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com