[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens on Moore's flick

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 19:10:37 +0100

Friday, July 2, 2004, 5:03:02 AM, Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:

Sac> In a message dated 7/1/2004 1:52:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sac> judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Sac> your economy must be booming...
Sac> Indeed.

actually your economy is, like ours, weak, and for similar reasons.
And that is why you need to sell arms...

but you missed part of my snipe; "potential enemies" surely includes
every nation in the world except one... realistically, though, China
is not high on the list of "potentials".  There are reasons not to
sell arms, not to allow proliferation; their proliferation is
undoubtedly dangerous; but that is another discussion.

Sac> If this kind of
Sac> sell-the-rope-to-people-who-want-to-hang-us
Sac> continues, it'll be booming in all kinds of unpleasant ways too.

and not only selling: the US *gave* the hand-held rocket launchers to
the anti-Taliban Afghan "guerrillas" (I believe; I'll check if
necessary) and they are now around, on the black market... El Al is
fitting security against them (alternate sources of heat, to confuse
the missiles) to its European flights (the US does not allow their
use).

--
Best regards,
 Judy                            mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx