[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens Arguably on John Brown

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:14:42 -0700

Andy wrote

Regarding the Texas prisons, one has to wonder if they were going to be run by private companies. Then each prisoner becomes a profit center, so the more prisoners the better. I know they were doing that with juvenile crime, actually making money on sending kids away, kickbacks and all (that was in the Northeast I think). I saw later that at least that one judge was prosecuted.

I believe you're thinking of a case in Pennsylvania, that came to light several years ago. A county juvenile court judge, assisted by a judge in the Court of Common Pleas, sentenced juveniles who appeared before him to time in a nearby for-profit juvenile home, for even the most legally minuscule behaviour, in return for kickbacks from the owner of the home (whom he'd help set up in business).

The juvenile court judge was sentenced to 28 years in prison, and 4,000 of those whom he'd had incarcerated were released.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us/13judge.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/28/us/28judges.html?pagewanted=all

A painful case.

Robert Paul