[lit-ideas] Re: His name was Mudd

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 14:26:59 +0000 (UTC)

In Donal's Notebook today it is noted that JLS' post in this thread includes an
extensive set of references, stretching even as far as this motley crew:>R. L.
Weagley, Wallace.
Terms used by spies. 2014
R. Taylor, Encyclopedia of Cold War  Espionage.
J. H. Williams, Elephant Bill.>
Yet no reference or source is given for the quoted words previously attributed
to Popper, the authenticity of which I questioned.

Perhaps the explanation isn't that JLS pathologically avoids facing facts (when
he has made them up instead) but that the reference and source are buried under
that mountain of references and sources from which JLS copiously selects
extracts as it suits?
DL

On Sunday, 23 August 2015, 12:40, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It all started when Ritchie suggested some Pillow talk ('about men')***.

In a message dated 8/23/2015 3:49:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
see his adoption of a point made separately  by Saul Kripke and J.J. Thomson

This is interesting. Of course in

i. May I suggest some Pillow talk?

Ritchie's 'sense' of "Pillow" is explained via Frege's "Sense and
Reference" as applied to proper names. Mill, previously, had used 'connotata'
and
'denotata', and claimed that while "London" has a denotatum, it lacks a  con
notatum.

On the other hand, in

ii. May I suggest some pillow talk?

'pillow' gets explained standardly alla Frege: via sense and  reference.

In Grice's example:

iii. His name was mud.

the implicature was that 'he' did something. Whereas, if we are referring
to a connotatum-less denotatum-ful item, like Samuel Mudd, indeed

iv. His name was Mudd*.

just reports a baptismal rigid resignation.

Interestingly, McEvoy refers to

J. J. Thomson

This should be distinguished from J. F. Thomson, of Christ Church, who
collaborated with H. P. Grice, and was indeed a member of the Play Group's
Saturday morning meetings at Oxford -- till he married Judith Jarvis and moved
to (of all places), the M. I. T. in Cambridge (Mass.). He wrote a lovely
defense  of the material conditional that predates some of Grice's points in
"Logic and  Conversation" -- and which was published posthumously by his wife
in the  "Journal of Philosophy". Grice loved Thomson.

According to Mill ("Symbolic Logic") however, neither J. J. Thomson nor J.
F. Thomson have connotata: only denotata.

Cheers,

Speranza