[lit-ideas] Re: Hire New Orleans Refugees to Repair the City? For Labor Day

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:37:13 -0400

Labor Day

> Forgive my naiveté, but couldn't the government employ a bunch of
> managers and supervisors, then
>
> HIRE THE DISPLACED RESIDENTS OF NEW ORLEANS TO REPAIR THEIR OWN CITY?
>
> In the process of repairing their own city, the hurricane victims
> would also have the chance to train at different skills, such as
> carpentry, electrical, plumbing, masonry, etc.
>
> Seems it would do more to help the victims than giving the money to
> an international corporation. But that's just me and my callow
> hatred of globalism and global corporations....

I too think this is a terrific idea.  The poor want to work.  The problem
is nobody wants to hire them and it sets up a downward spiral of
unemployment and dependence.  Then they could pay more in taxes and their
enhanced buying power would help the economy.  But that doesn't fit with
Bush's vision of a third world style polarized economy.  It'll never happen.