[lit-ideas] Re: Hippocrates -- The Four Humours and Eng. Lit.

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:09:19 -0800

JL wrote

I'd be interested in the development in Eng.Lit. of Hippocrates's theory of the four humours. It strikes me as chemically or hormonally wrong, but I understand it provided authors with a lot of material to create characters, e.g. Hamlet, "melancholic", Othello, "choleric", etc. There is a three-vol. edition in the Loeb. One surprisingly combined with fragments from Herakleitus.

Any lead or commentary welcome.

Here's something you might consider. It was Galen (c. AD 129–c. 210),
who postulated the four humors.

Hippocrates lived much earlier: the 5th C BC. He was a contemporary of Socrates'.

'Little is known of him except that he was short, travelled much, and probably died at Larissa. The Corpus Hippocraticum or body of writing to which his name became attached in fact contains no part that can be reliably attributed to him. His fame as the ideal doctor, and the first to treat the body as a whole organism, rests on Plato (Phaedrus 270 a) and the subsequent escalating attribution of medical wisdom to him. The Hippocratic oath enjoining doctors to heal rather than to harm is possibly of Pythagorean origin.' [The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy]

Robert Paul