[lit-ideas] Hez-proofing the border

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:44:31 -0400

I'd like to ask again what prospects an international force may have in keeping the Hez infestation out of southern Lebanon. Forget the Lebanese army--is any international force capable of keeping the border areas peaceful and healthy?

The Hez is well-equipped and trained. That the Israelis are having so many problems with the Hez--again bringing to mind comparisons with the dug-in Japanese during the US Pacific campaign in WW2--makes me doubt an international force can handle them.

Fighting the Japanese in the Pacific involved burning them out of every cave, bulldozing their entrenchments, even watching as the Japanese women camp-followers committed suicide by hand grenade rather than surrender. Brutal, slow, ugly war of attrition.

The Israelis can do it because they are defending their country. But will a bunch of internationals have the motivation to keep the Hez out? I doubt it. I know the world wants to try this, but ultimately it may be tried simply to show that it doesn't work.