[lit-ideas] Re: Hezbollah

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:48:22 -0500

Phil:And I am sure that
Veronica would not toss such accusations around without facts to back
them up.

You are correct.  I would not do such a thing.  I sent two links.  The
first one was the effort by some people to remove Hezbollah from the list
of acceptable organizations in Canada.  If you read that, then you know
that there was great reluctance on the part of various officials to remove
it and finally did so, except for the charities.  It was at that point that
B'nai B'rith went to a court and asked that the charities be removed as
well, in that it was impossible to determine whether funds were going to
human needs or terrorism.  The time line shows that the court suit was
initiated by BB in late November.  And as you say, Hezbollah was put on the
list you cite on Dec. 11th, both these periods in 2002.  If you now expect
me to prove that it was the officials and not the court suit that caused
the change, I can't do that because I don't know what was in everyone's
head.  And neither do you.  Nor do either of us know what if any type of
negotiations went on behind the scenes that created the result.

I am sorry that you are determined to believe that I am prejudiced.  I am
also sorry that I did not make myself more clear in regard to calling
Canada a great country in the way I did.  I believe you might have taken
that as sarcasm.  It was not.  A few months ago my family explored the
possibility of emigrating from here to Canada.  There was  a discussion
about this on the list.  It turned out to be impossible, due to issues
relating to immigration rules in Canada and health care issues in the US.

Veronica