[lit-ideas] Re: Hersh and the Devil's Advocate

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 09:50:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2004 3:26:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The only way we can find such behavior forgivable is in a fight to the
death. Is that what's going on here?
Still playing Devil's Advocate, I reply YES, that's what we have here. That
is the nature of Islamic Theofascism, not a patriotic protection of national
culture but an imperialist ideology of world domination. In fact, it is our
blending of the two that allows us to extenuate and apologize for the
half-measures we take.
Granted it's a SLOW fight to the death, but only because our opponents lack
our vast stockpiles of weapons. But they sure can make bombs! Check the morning
news.

To the esteemed Robert Paul, I reply that "should be able to" means "should
be able to, without legal let or hindrance." Without legal hindrance from an
overscrupulous JAG, we would have eliminated Mullah Omar in Afghanistan. In
general, the US has so many rules of engagement and restrictions that we are
slow
to respond when quick response would bring a success.

Finally, the Devil's Advocate reminds readers that all nations act solely in
their self-interest, act amorally on a daily basis, so that bringing moral
considerations into acts of national survival is inappropriate. "Morality" is
the
rhetoric every nation uses as part of its PR campaign.

Personally I may be appalled by the whole thing, but as the Devil's Advocate
have license to stir the pot a bit.

Inciting others to wax poetic,
EY