[lit-ideas] Re: Hermits have no peer pressure

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:06:07 EDT

In a message dated 6/2/2010 5:27:28 A.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
The need to out-hermit each other soon intrudes.

---- True, but analytically, they cease to be 'hermit', which, in Greek,
means 'he who doesn't care about others' ('her-' + -'mites').

Yet, Yost says that we are NOT hermites, and that we DO have peer pressure.
 So if Calley hears, "Shoot them! Shoot the whole village!", the peer
pressure  will, for Yost, lead Calley to shoot, "for fear of rejection on the
part of his  peers -- such is peer pressure: a fact of life".

In general, peer pressure is big. "Peer" is sometimes misused. "Give me a
pair of ear-rings" (Does this mean 2, or four ear rings?).

"peer" is very generational. A 14-year old won't count a 16-year old as his
 'peer'. BUT it was Calley's SUPERIOR who ordered him to shoot that
village.  So what 'peer' are we talking here?

J. L. Speranza
---- who has only one peer.
The Swimming Pool Library, Bordighera