[lit-ideas] Re: Here's a new spin on preventative medicine

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 18:03:29 -0700 (PDT)

You're assuming that only 'deep thoughts' constitute thinking, when in fact
they constitute *human* thinking, and mostly useless and/or counterproductive
thinking at that.&nbsp; Most of the thinking is in the form of knee jerk
reaction nonthinking that gets in the way of humanity's own narrow definition
of life.&nbsp; Mindedness is much more than sentience.&nbsp; It's about
exploring one's world and knowing how to use that world to one's advantage, for
example, to make one's self undesirable to invading insects (it's what makes
vegetables so nutritious) and on and on.&nbsp; I saw a cartoon in the New
Yorker of a guy walking on a tight rope with a balance thing in his hands and a
squirrel and birds sitting on the tight rope saying Ooo, we're sooo
impressed.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
Humans really need to get out more.&nbsp; They know how to read but they
literally don't know to come in out of the rain half the time.&nbsp; And dogs
may not think 'deep thoughts' but in addition to far better senses than we
have, they also have a sixth sense.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
Mindedness in humans comes from the same electrical, chemical stuff in the
brain that runs the trees and leaves and all other life.&nbsp; Unfortunately
for humans, they feel&nbsp;they're better than the rest of life put together,
when in fact we're only one species that's doing a real number on itself.
&nbsp;