[lit-ideas] Re: Henry Root's Philosophical Dictionary

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 00:25:54 +0000 (GMT)

Entry for:

_Darwinism_: A mere theory. The survival of the fittest. Nature red in tooth
and claw. See: _Nature_, _Creationism_, _Lamarckism_ and _God_.

_God_: Does not play dice. Is dead. John Lennon writes: "I don't believe in
Beatles. I just believe in me. Yoko and me - that's reality." See: _Reality_
and _Ono, Yoko_.

_Nature_: Abhors a vacuum.

_Creationism_: No mere theory but a belief in the literal truth of The Word Of
God. See: _Darwinism_.

_Trumpet-red_: A colour that could, according to Carnap, provoke fear.

_Ono, Yoko_: Ocean child. A very private person. She's been to hell and back.

_Swans_: Have played a small but key role in the philosophy of science.
See:_Popper, Karl_.

_Perception, The Causal Theory Of_: 'Is seeing a 'seeming' lamp seeing a lamp?'
Your guess is as good as mine. See: _Grice, H.P_.

_Action, The Philosophy Of_: 'Is an action a willing followed by a movement or
a movement preceded by a willing or the two intrinsically conjoined?' A
pleasant way to while away an afternoon.
_Nomological Dangler_: Good clean fun.

_Celts, The_: Have played a small but key role in philosophy as an object of
comparison. David Pears writes: "Yet the idea still survives on the fringes of
philosophy, like the Celts."

_Tractatus Logicus Philosophicus_: Good name for a book on philosophy. Call it
'TLP' to show one is on familiar terms with its contents. If asked about the
title say:- "It was actually written in German and only translated into
English. No Latin version."

_Parmenides_: His view that time is an illusion has been disproved by events.

_Silly Season, The_: Always starts early.