[lit-ideas] Re: Hemingway, was A little Friday humor

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 16:15:58 -0700

Andy wrote

Now that I wiggled out of that one, I was wondering if you all would like to read Hemingway's A Clean Well Lighted Place. I got bitten by the Hemingway bug I guess over ten years ago and never did anything with it. I have a sneaking suspicion that he's underrated, maybe seriously so. I finally just today read A Clean Well Lighted Place and it's beautiful. It's only four pages long and is just overflowing with, I'm not sure what. Existentialism? Here's a link to a really nice video version of it. The accents are Irish so I guess it's Irish. It's pretty true to the story except Hemingway uses Spanish in his story, and the last paragraph is left out, which I think is an important omission.

I take it you mean that the video is Irish. Hemingway's dialog is in Spanish because the story was set in a small town in Spain. To leave out the last paragraph is to in effect destroy the story. But after all, it is only a story. Many must have read it.

Robert Paul,
looking for his cat in the rain