[lit-ideas] Re: Help Please

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:20:04 -0800

on 11/14/04 6:01 PM, Robert Paul at Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> King Kalakaua, called the Merry Monarch, came to the throne in 1874. During
> his
> reign, Hawaiian music, the hula, and many other old Hawaiian customs became
> popular again. These customs had been prohibited by earlier rulers at the
> demand
> of Christian missionaries. The custom of wearing grass skirts began during
> this
> period. The first grass skirts were brought then to Hawaii from the Samoa
> Islands.
> --------------------------------------
> Robert Paul
> Professor of Native Skirts and Grasses
> Department of Folk Botany
> Mutton College

Brill.  The first part I knew, but the second part rewards the wisdom of the
hiring committee who did the national search, with ads in "Outcomes Today"
and "The Bollwevil Picker's Pig Journal," for the first annual farewell
touring professor of Native Skirts, Sword Ferns and Grasses.  Boy, as they
say of Hawaiian Congregationalist missionaries, "They came to do good, and
they did well."

Thank you, John, for trying.  It is best to know what we know not.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon