[lit-ideas] Re: Help?

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:41:01 EDT

In a message dated 8/26/2005 1:10:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>    I'm told that the grant covers everything, so the  series will cost your
> station nothing, nada, zero.  They just  have to contact Morgan Holm or Eve
> Epstein at Oregon Public  Radio.

Can you give us better contact information? A URL, email, or  phone number?

Hi,
Since my area was part of the Journey Forth last year, I thought that I
might pass it on, too.

(people here were getting sick and tired of hearing about Lewis and Clark
<g> but enough of a 'break' has occurred that one will now get those who  tuned
it out to say something like "Well, maybe I ought to find out a bit  more".)

Best,
Marlena in Missouri

For more information about the series,
contact series  producer Eve Epstein at:
_eve_epstein@xxxxxxxx (mailto:eve_epstein@xxxxxxx)
phone:  503-293-1996
Oregon Public Broadcasting
7140 SW Macadam  Avenue
Portland, OR 97219Program  Description

HISTORY NEVER SOUNDED SO GOOD!
This Groundbreaking Radio Series Comes to Public Radio Stations Fall  2005.
UNFINISHED JOURNEY: THE LEWIS AND CLARK EXPEDITION is an  innovative, 13-part
radio series commemorating the 200th anniversary of the  Lewis and Clark
expedition that urges listeners to explore the profound impact  the expedition
had
on American history â and most interestingly, how it greatly  affects our
lives even today. Each one-hour program is fresh, entertaining and
thought-provoking â ideal for public radioâs curious, smart audience.
Presented  by Oregon
Public Broadcasting and Lewis & Clark College and distributed by  Public
Radio International (PRI), UNFINISHED JOURNEY will also  feature a DVD
containing
the complete series, along with additional audio and  video and educational
materials.
UNFINISHED JOURNEY gives voice to historians, musicians,  Native Americans,
storytellers, poets and re-enactors. Period "newscasts" point  to the program's
theme and set the context of actual events. Featuring in-depth  interviews
with historians, writers and other experts; sound-rich reports from  locations
across the United States; original essays connecting Lewis and Clark's  story
to modern issues; original music and dramatic interpretations; and regular
features that explore how history might have changed as a result of different
decisions made along the trail â UNFINISHED JOURNEY is a truly  original
radio
series.
Here's a sneak peek at what you will hear in UNFINISHED JOURNEY:
    *   Meriwether Lewis: Captain of the Corps
President Thomas  Jefferson handpicked Meriwether Lewis to lead the Corps of
Discovery into the  western reaches of the young United States. Jefferson
instructed Lewis to make  the journey one of scientific discovery as well as
diplomatic contact. The  journals Lewis kept reveal the inquiring mind of an
Enlightenment-era thinker,  but they also hint at the troubling and premature
death
of Meriwether Lewis.  Victoria Murden, a modern-day explorer and the first
woman to row solo across  the Atlantic Ocean, will discuss the psychological
effects on people who have  gone beyond the limits of common human experience
and
then tried to return to  a so-called normal life.
    *   William Clark: An American Hero?
William Clark always gets  second billing when the Corps of Discovery is
mentioned. But Clark was much  more than a "faithful sidekick," an able
assistant.
His wilderness skills and  military background contributed greatly to the
success of the expedition.  Clark was also a father, slaveholder and Indian
re-locator. What lessons can  modern-day Americans learn from a man who engaged
in
both heroic and  historically troubling actions?
    *   Sacagawea's Story: Truth Meets Myth
From only a handful of  written references, Sacagawea has become an icon in
American history and  culture. But what do we really know about her? Do we even
know how she  pronounced her own name? Sacagawea's story explores the
perspective of the  young woman who made the 7,689-mile trek across the country
with
a baby on her  back and why statues, parks and even a newly minted coin have
been created in  her image.
    *   Law and Sovereignty: The Political Agenda in the American  West
Lewis and Clark may have been recording scientific data and  mapping the
West, but their journey was a clear extension of the power and  influence of
the
new United States government into territory that the British,  Spanish and
Russians were also very interested in occupying. But what rights  do aboriginal
peoples have when an invading power arrives? That question is as  relevant
today
as it was in the imperialist era of the early 19th century.  Lessons from the
outcome of Lewis and Clark's expedition are relevant to  today's debates
about the relationship between the government of the United  States and the
sovereign tribes living within its borders. And those lessons  may signal the
dawn
of a new era of tribal rights in many nations.
    *   Getting Along and Going Along
The 30-plus members of  the expedition provide a kind of laboratory for
interpersonal relationships.  How did they get along with each other? What did
they
do when they weren't  making their way through the landscapes of the West?
And how did they interact  with Indians they encountered? You'll hear about
music and games along the  trail, find out how Indians lived and learn what it
was
like to travel  thousands of miles on foot with a 19th-century military
expedition.
    *   The Boundaries of Knowledge
The Enlightenment's  scientific imperative to catalog the world played a
major role in defining the  expedition. President Jefferson specifically
instructed the expedition leaders  to add to the nation's scientific knowledge
in the
course of their journey. At  the same time, the Indians who lived in the West
already had a significant  store of information about their environment. We'll
dig into what the two  groups learned from each other, and find out how the
expedition's scientific  achievements advanced America's intellectual movement.

    *   Encounters of the Expedition: Landscapes, People and  Self
The Lewis and Clark expedition provides a fascinating case  study of the
psychology of encounters between peoples, with landscapes and  with the inner
person. Encounters require processing new information,  unfamiliar terrain and
culture and potentially disturbing self-revelations.  This program examines how
the Lewis and Clark expedition handled its  encounters. And we'll learn about
how the tribes they met responded to these  visitors who seemed determined to
impose a new way of life on the land and  people of the West.
    *   Unsolved Mysteries of Lewis and Clark
Two hundred  years have passed since the expedition. Millions of pages have
been written  about it. Yet significant questions remain unanswered. There are
three big  mysteries: why President Jefferson apparently lost interest in the
expedition  after their return in 1806, what drove Meriwether Lewis to commit
suicide  shortly after his return, and what is actually known about Sacagawea.
In  addition to those, there are hundreds of little mysteries not addressed
in  recorded history. So, when we can't tell the whole story with certainty,
how  should we interpret the gaps? Will all of the mysteries ever be solved?
    *   The First Space Race
The mix of science and militarism  at work in the Corps of Discovery
reflected a carefully calculated  geopolitical strategy on President Thomas
Jefferson's part. Lewis and Clark  were racing against British, Spanish and
Russian
explorers who also had  designs on the rich resources of the Northwest.
Jefferson's strategy for  success has been replicated several times in American
history,
most recently  in the race to the moon. This program compares the Lewis and
Clark expedition  to the 20th-century space race. And as we examine the subject
of exploration,  we'll remind listeners that discovery works in both
directions... the people  who were being "discovered" were also discovering the
explorers.
    *   Traditions of Medicine Meet in the American West
We'll  compare the European medical knowledge carried by expedition members
with the  tribal medicine the Corps encountered on its trek across the
continent. The  expedition offers a useful perspective on the relative merits
of
distinct  medical traditions.
    *   The Journals of Lewis and Clark - An American Epic?
We view the story of the expedition's journey through a literary lens.  Like
The Odyssey and other great epics, the journals of Lewis and  Clark fit a
model that permeates Western culture. The story is filled with  heroic
characters
and tension-filled encounters with the unknown. It's based  on a written
record that cries out for a saga-length movie. We'll examine how  the
expedition
journals relate to the classic epic form and imagine it as a  modern-day epic.
    *   The World of Lewis and Clark
The history of the  expedition has lured hundreds of thousands of Americans
to significant sites  along the Corps of Discovery's trail, and to books and
events digging into  every element of the expedition. Many have become academic
and armchair  experts on the subject. We'll meet a number of them and find out
why they've  chosen to enter the world of Lewis and Clark and how they share
their  enthusiasm for the story.
    *   Legacies of the Corps of Discovery
Some two hundred  years after the expedition, we are still examining the
consequences of  Jefferson's decision to send the Corps of Discovery to the
Pacific Ocean. We  conclude our series by exploring the immediate aftermath of
the
expedition and  its influence on native cultures that Lewis and Clark
encountered. We ask what  lasting legacies the expedition has had on culture,
geography, the environment  and politics. Sculptor Maya Lin talks about how she
is
meeting the challenge  of preserving the legacies of Lewis and Clark in a
historic
project stretching  across hundreds of miles of the expedition's trail. And
in the end, we learn  that Lewis and Clark left an indelible mark on the West
and set American  history on a new course.

Web site: _www.opb.org/lewisandclark_ (http://www.opb.org/lewisandclark)
Series Credits:
Series Producer: Eve Epstein
Executive Producer: Clay Jenkinson and Morgan  Holm
Director of Lewis & Clark College's Bicentennial Programs: Sherry  Manning
Original music composed and performed by Aaron Meyer and Bill  Lamb.
Major funding for this series is provided by the National Endowment for the
Humanities. Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in
this program do not necessarily represent those of the NEH.