[lit-ideas] Re: Heidegger, politics and despair

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:46:49 +0000 (GMT)

 LH> In the days when the Soviets were promising to destroy us, we
in the U.S
. >had a great number of Communist sympathizers working for our enemy.

here too.. my dearest uncle and aunt, and my grandfather, among them, if you
mean "Communist Party members", that is.    But of course they didn't support
the destruction of their country -- or the US, where my grandfather had lived,
where my aunt and my mother were born.

I happened to tell a young strongly anti-Soviet Pole about them.  He was warm;
the Western Communists, he said, were different, were all about equality. Yes.
I could never have joined the Party but do know what many of its members,
including some officially Stalinist ones -- my relatives were not in that camp
-- stood for.

Now; what about the Nazi sympathizers here and over there?

Judy Evans