[lit-ideas] Re: Heidegger and the "Ideas of 1914"

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:23:27 -0600

LH:
But I'll ask you that question, Mike.  Who have you read about Heidegger
that has convinced you that he is someone not to be read?<<

I've never said he was not worth reading. I don't read him anymore, but I have read most of "Being and Time", most of the essays in the collections "Basic Writings", "Existence And Being", and "Poetry Language And Thought." I sat through a graduate seminar in Heidegger (a course I was woefully unprepared for -- but it was an audit course so no loss). I've read I don't know how many interpretive essays on Heidegger and almost none were any more lucid than Heidegger himself. When I was reading Heidegger, I thought he was more poet than philosopher, that he didn't really have any more knowledge of what any of it means than I do, he just had a new way of expressing his awe at the fact of existence which is all that any good art does. "Why is there anything rather than nothing?" Why? Because there is. What other possible answer could there be that's accessible to our knowing? The fact that there IS existence is the source of awe and beauty and etc., etc., etc., but not knowledge, or so I believe. Heidegger's philosophy is very succinct, it's captured in one short sentence: "We are always already immersed in a World." There's not much more to be said philosophically. Heidegger realized that and turned to poeticizing the Nordic race as was his ridiculous world's wont. I still like reading certain passages of Heidegger, for example:

"Man alone of all beings, when addressed by the voice of Being, experiences the marvel of all marvels: that what-is is. Therefore the being that is called in its very essence to the truth of Being is always attuned in an essential sense. The clear courage for the essential dread guarantees that most mysterious of all possibilities: the experience of Being. For hard by essential dread, in the terror of the abyss, there dwells awe (Scheu). Awe clears and enfolds that region of human being within which man endures, as at home, in the enduring." (What Is Metaphysics)

Is that philosophy? To me it's not, but evidently some philosophers think so. To me it's a description of the feeling of awe that comes from the sudden awareness that one is here -- in the here and now -- an awareness made possible by knowing nothingness (or imagining it). It's clunky prose poetry (of the German sort), not pursuit of knowledge.

What I was asking you is why you are so concerned about Heidegger's Nazism if you find significance in his thought. Are you afraid you'll be unwittingly contaminated? You're already contaminated -- not with Nazism that I know of -- but with Americanism and all the bullshit that carries with it. Every human being is contaminated with some crackerbarrel Weltanschauung. That's what Dasein is all about.

Mike Geary
poetically dwelling
in Memphis