[lit-ideas] "Have Loeb, Will Travel" (Was: Leonidas)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:59:46 EST

Geary declined, but I think the moment that provoked the undescribable
consternation was:

from wiki (below).

I assume the simile with Xerxes is a fine one? I just don't know. What we
want to know, us foreigners, if it was a _good_ thing or a _bad_ thing (alla
Sellars/Yeatman).

I notice that it's Rodrigo Santoro who plays Xerxes in "300". Why is it  that
they give stereotypical roles to Latinos? He played an oligophrenic hunk in
"Love, Actually", and I like him, but he shouldn't have shaved his balls, as
apparently he did, to get the part.

His English is pretty broken, and there is an interview to him, in as I
recall, Rotten Tomatoes, where he expands on Xerxes. He says he read Herodotus
get some inspiration, and was motivated by the 'round' character that he had
to display. He tried, he says, not to make it too unidimensional -- as
apparently Butler playing Leonidas is, as critics in Greece saw.

The film was boycotted by Iran, as saying that it promotes gratuitous clash
of civilisations (sic). And the professor of Greek at Cambridge that they used
 for pronunciation -- and who apparently has written books on Sparta -- could
not  get the implicature of Leonidas:

"We won't be less than THOSE boy-loving Athenians"

-- which in my opinion does not necessarily ENTAIL that Spartans hate  boys.

Cheers,

JL Speranza
       Civilisation-Clasher, but otherwise  harmless

"At his inauguration on March 4, 1861, the German American Turners formed
Lincoln's bodyguard; and a sizable garrison of federal troops was also present,

ready to protect the capital from Confederate invasion and local
insurrection.  In his First Inaugural Address, Lincoln declared, "I hold that
in
contemplation  of universal law and of the Constitution the Union of these
States is
perpetual.  Perpetuity is implied, if not expressed, in the fundamental law of
all national  governments," arguing further that the purpose of the United
States Constitution  was "to form a more perfect union" than the Articles of
Confederation which were  explicitly perpetual, thus the Constitution too was
perpetual. He asked  rhetorically that even were the Constitution a simple
contract, would it not  require the agreement of all parties to rescind it?
Also in
his inaugural  address, in a final attempt to reunite the states and prevent
the
looming war,  Lincoln supported the pending Corwin Amendment to the
Constitution, which had  already passed Congress. This amendment, which
explicitly
protected slavery in  those states in which it existed, was designed to appeal
not
to the Confederacy  but to the critical border states. At the same time,
Lincoln adamantly opposed  the Crittenden Compromise, which would have
permitted
slavery in the  territories. Despite support for the Crittenden compromise
among some prominent  Republicans (including William Seward), Lincoln denounced
it
saying that it  "would amount to a perpetual covenant of war against every
people, tribe, and  state owning a foot of land between here and Tierra del
Fuego."