[lit-ideas] Hate Clubs

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:23:23 EDT

I wonder if anyone has read anything recently that addresses the role of hate
in American politics?
Passed a guy on the street today with a "New York hates Bush" T-shirt. So
much of politics seems to involve the construction of hated figments--and what
seems more interesting--the creation of community through shared objects of
hate.

It's come to pass that if we hate the same politicians, we are cool to each
other, and accepted into a community created by that hate. A friend tells me he
hates Bush. Why, I ask, and it almost causes him to splutter, as if having to
recite the litany of reasons to hate is beside the point. Surely you wish to
see him defeated, he asks. And when I ask for his reasons, I can feel the
chill setting in, the feeling of exclusion from the hate club, can feel that it
might affect our friendship that I actually called him on his reasons for
hating, instead of just touting my membership card.

A few months ago, AOL had a politics quiz. State your positions on the two
dozen issues, and the Java template would match you up with your candidate.
Mine
came up Kerry by a wide margin. But do I trust Kerry to deliver on any of his
positions? Not really. Do I hate him? No. Do I hate Bush? No.

But every day, I feel excluded from hate clubs, and it makes me wonder what
the hate clubs are all about. Maybe hating Bush or hating Kerry is a way of
avoiding the issues, a way of simplifying political judgments that get more
complex every time one examines them. Although I think maybe something more
sinister is at work--hate clubs working as a way of disenfranchising people.
I'm
reminded of the enemy of the people in Orwell's _1984_, and realize that either
presidential candidate could be "the enemy of the people," the guy people hate
and create a community by hating. Meanwhile the business of government and the
important civil decisions are elsewhere.

Eric