[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 20:58:11 +0100

I am not sure which possible world Hart and JL live in, but it must be
quite different from mine. In the possible world in which I live, people
often don't do what they are legally obliged to do, and moreover they often
get away with it too. The legal consequences of non-compliance can no more
supposed to automatically follow than can compliance be automatically
supposed to obtain. Thus, in this possible world, I cannot construct a
sense in which "He was legally obliged to do such and such" would have to
be automatically interpreted as factual. But perhaps in some other possible
world it would be so taken.

O.K.