[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 05:56:10 -0400

One of Hart's claim to claim in the annals of analysis is his  distinction

obliged-obligated.

For Hart this is crucial, since in  his reading, John Austin, the
jurisprudentialist, the 'key to the science of  jurisprudence' is "oblige". For
Hart,
it is 'obligate'.

This reminds me  of Grice: for Strawson, the 'key to the science of logic'
is "imply". For Grice,  is 'implicate'.

Another ANALOGY!

Of course, 'oblige' is better  English, and many still disown 'implicate'
as presumptuous and prefer to use  'imply'.

So let us revise some usages of 'oblige'.

For Hart,  'oblige' reports a PSYCHOLOGICAL episode -- a psychological
desire in an agent.

Usually the utterer, as in "I'm much obliged". It is also _factive_ for
Hart. If someone utters that he is obliged, he is obliged. It's different with
 obligated. If someone utters "I'm obligated", say, to do A, this does not
imply  that A does anything about it. Hart's example is to be obliged to
utter a lie,  for which of course he cannot be obligated (but rather
prohibited), to get out  of a scrape, as Hart puts it.

So, if 'oblige' belongs in the realm of  psychology, where does 'obligate'
belong? Grice's answer: in the realm of  RATIONAL psychology -- i.e. the
pure Kantian territory, and it is not surprising  that Hart posits the
oblige-obligate distinction in terms of Beck's commentary  on Kant.

To "oblige" was unknown to the Anglo-Saxons (Hart wasn't), who  would
rather use 'bind'. Rather it is Anglo-Norman, 'obliger'. So this is Hart
engaged
in French conceptual analysis. "obliger" may mean "to bind by oath or
promise", "to pledge", "to constrain", "to force", "to make liable", "to
perform
 a service", and "to give pleasure". And of course the Anglo-Normans took
it  direct from CICERONE (or Cicero if you must). "Obligāre" is to bind by an
oath,  promise, or moral or legal tie, also to pledge, to mortgage, to make
liable, to  bind or tie around, to bind, to restrain -- an obvious compound
of ob-  +  ligāre   to tie, bind.

The earliest English usage attested (and Hart is doing English  conceptual
analysis via linguistic botany) is "to bind by oath, contract, etc."  -- To
bind a person by oath, promise, contract, etc.; to put under an  obligation,
to engage, commit. It is usually used with to or infinitive. The  earliest
citation may well be "The Statues of Realm" (1325):

"Ant also  wan ani diez biþoute testament, ant
be iobliged to ani oþer in dette, ant  his godes comez into ordinaries hond
for te ordeinen, þe ordinaries,
fram  nou forthward, sullen ansuuerie to þe dettes þe wile þat te godes of
þe dede  lastez."

Some say this usage can be traced earlier to 1300, to the Chronicles of
Robert of Gloucester:

"Þo adde william vr king to him vaste iobliged þe king of scotlond."

It is alleged that there is an earlier document dated 1280 that uses
'oblige' in this way, "The Conception of Mary":

"Joachim..bihete god, ȝif þt he wolde eny child hem sende, to god's seruice
 oblige hi wolde þt child."

By the fifteenth-century it seems to have been pretty common:

1400. Apol. Lollard Doctr. "Þei oblige no man to þer maner of  pouert."
1405. Rolls of Parl.

"Our forsaid Attornees..oblyssyng us..to fulfill all maner accordez."

1450. Alphabet of Tales. "He obliged him to fight with him in the  quarrel."

It continued in the sixteenth-century:

1548. Hall's Vnion: Henry. "All men were pardoned which would by other be
obliged truly to serve and obey hyim.
1580. T. G. Law Catholic Tractates.  "Everie subject is obliged in his
conscience to obey the just laws of his  magistrate.

and beyond:

1657. R. Loveday Lett. "I inclosed the  note in a letter to my brother, and
obliged him to be very careful in sending  it."
1690. J. Locke Two Treat. Govt.

"It has been commonly supposd that a father could oblige his posterity to
that government, of which he himself was a subject."

1759. Johnson Prince of Abissinia.

"My father had obliged me to the improvement of my stock, not by a promise
but by a penalty which I was at liberty to incur."

1880. J. Muirhead tr. Gaius Institutes.

"Slaves cannot be obliged to any other person." ...

"In nomina, while one, by making an entry to the other's debit, lays him
under obligation, it is only the latter that is obliged."

Now, 'oblige' can also be used to mean to bind oneself by an  oath,
promise, or contract; to come under an obligation, to pledge, engage  oneself.
With
to, unto, infinitive, or that-clause. This use is early:  1300.    Chron.
Robert of Gloucester (Calig.). Hii hom wolde  obligi &amp; sikernesse vinde
gode To bere hom clene hor truage.

Cf.
1382. Bible (Wycliffite, E.V.). "Israel, by vow hym self to þe lord
oblige, seiþ ȝif þou take þis peple in myn honde, y shal doon awey his  cytees."
1375. N. Homily Legendary. "Swilk drede in hert had þai ilkane Þat þai
oblige þam to hald þe couenand made byforne."
1450. York Plays. T"hy  hande-mayden for soth am I, and to thi seruice I
oblige me."
1400. St.  George.  "Þane sais þe wich: ‘gyf I ne ma ourcum his craft I
oblige me but  ransoninge to thole dede.’
1526. J. Cooper Cartularium Eccl. St. Nicholai  Aberdonensis.

"We bind and oblige us and our successouris..that [etc.]."

1542 . A. J. Mill Mediaeval Plays. "Alexander Kayn wes accusit in  jugment
for his wife becaus he obliged hym to answer for her  deeds."
1600. Diurnal of Remarkable Occurrents. We obleiss ws, and promeiss
that..the said abstinence of weir..sall continew.
1609. W. M. Man in Moone.  You: who hauing plighted your faith, and
solemnly obliged your selfe vnto an  husband, are now become most faithlesse
and
perfidious.
1669. G. Miège  Relation of Three Embassies. The time for which he had
obliged himself being  expired.
1721. T. W. Marsh Some Rec. Early Friends in Surrey & Sussex. We  Desire
John Croker to take his place and we doe obleadg our selves to give him  40
shili.
1890. Pall Mall Gaz. In gratitude for the bequest of Preston, the  town
council obliged themselves to his son to build that aisle to his  memory.

In Scotland, 'to oblige' means, plainly, to commit  oneself, promise, give
an undertaking.

1425. Andrew of Wyntoun Oryg.  Cron. Scotl. "Off Iuda Þan þe barnage al Þam
obliged erare hym to ta."
1567. J. Row Hist. Kirk Scotl. "That these præsent obliges to reform
themselves."
1501. G. Douglas Palice of Honour. "I oblige be my hand, he sall observe in
 all pointis your behest."
1634. J. Row Hist. Kirk Scotl. "We undersubscryve, and oblige and promise
to obey the whole contents of the said letter."
1875. Border Treasuring. "Aw had obliged to come home to the wife  again."

It is also used to mean to make (property, etc.) a guarantee or  security
for the discharge of a promise or debt; to pledge, pawn, mortgage. Also
fig.: to pledge (one's life, honour, etc.). An early usage:  1300  Chron.
Robert
of Gloucester:  Þe emperour of rome to him  Obligede bi his messagers alle
þing þat was his.
1395. J. Purvey Remonstr.  against Romish Corruptions.

"King John obliged his realm of England and his lordship of Ireland in a
thousand mark, to be paid year by year."

1395. Bible (Wycliffite, L.V.) Nyle thou be with hem that oblischen  [a1382
E.V. ficche doun] her hondis, and that proferen hem silf borewis for
dettis.
1474. Caxton tr. Game &amp; Playe of Chesse. Yf thou wilt oblige  thy sowle
to me ayenst my hors, I wolle..playe wyth the.
1513. J. Irland  Meroure of Wyssdome. This satisfaccioune mone be maid of a
thing that is nocht  sua oblist to God be ane vthire manere..of dete.
1675. A. Marvell Let. 11 May  in Poems and Lett. The Gentlemen..were
ordered to oblige each their Honour  not to take any resentment.
1700. J. Tyrrell Gen. Hist. Eng. He forbid all  the Prelates..to oblige
their Lay-Fees to the See of Rome.
1750. W. Beawes  Lex Mercatoria. The ship is tacitly obliged for their
wages.

While in  Scotland, 'oblige' is used to mean to agree, commit to (a
promise, a course of  action).
1522. G. Douglas tr. Virgil Æneid. "The holy promise and the bandis  gent
of peace and concord obliged and sworn.

The use of 'oblige to mean  "to be obliged", i.e. to be morally or legally
bound; (more generally) to be  under a necessity, to be behoved. Freq. with
to (or till) or infinitive overlaps  with other usages, but it's an early
one: 1340. Ayenbite: "Þe zenuolle..is  y-obliged to zuo ane greate gauelinge
þet he ne heþ miȝte to hit endi, þet is,  to þe pine of helle."

1398. T. Rymer Fœdera.

"To the fulfillyng of the qwhilk the Wardain of the Est Marche of Scotland
is obliged, be his Letter to Sire Henri Percy and the said Sire Henry is
obliged, be his Letter to the said Earle."

1400. Northern Pauline Epist. Hebr. "He schulde delyuere þem þe whiche were
 obliged to servage by all their life."
1400. St. Adrian. "He wes obliste til his wyfe to speke with hir in-to his
lyfe."
1484. Caxton tr. Subtyl Historyes and Fables Esope.

"I promysed to the nought at al, in the presence of whom I am oblyged or
bound."

1515. H. Rose and L. Shaw Geneal. Deduction Family Rose of Kilravock.

"To the keping of all thir conditionis bayth the sadis parteis
ar obliged and suorn ayn till other."

1552. Abp. J. Hamilton Catech. "We are obliged to love god."
1609. J. Skene tr. Regiam Majestatem. "The wife is not obliged to accuse
her husband."

1673. W. Cave Primitive Christianity.

"That duty and respect, wherein we stand obliged to others."

1709. J. Strype Ann. Reformation. "Martyr excused his coming, partly
because he was obliged to the city and church of Zurick."

1757. David Hume, History of Great Britain:

"The Princess Henrietta was obliged to lie abed, for want of a fire to warm
 her."

1810. S. Horsley Serm. "Thus it should seem that Christians are clearly
obliged to the observance of a Sabbath."
1892. Times.

"Foreign farmers are obliged to market their corn immense distances by
rail, canal, and sea."

1940. J. F. Kennedy Why Eng. Slept.

"By the treaty Germany was not allowed to have an air fleet; if, therefore,
she was building one, England would either be obliged
to declare the Treaty was at an end or be prepared to go in and stop  her."

1981. A. Gray Lanark. "It should last until you find work, but if you
spend it before then this card entitles you to present another claim, which we
shall be obliged, in due course, to honour."

"Oblige" can be used transitively, With simple object: to bind (a  person,
conscience, etc.), to be binding on. Also intr. This is an early use:
1402   J. Trevisa tr. R. Fitzralph Defensio Curatorum. "He seide  þat
freres beþ nouȝt y-holde to kepe þat heeste þat may nouȝt oblege wiþout  assent
of freres, and namelich, wiþ-oute assent of mynystres and hit  oblegide his
successour in noon maner wise, for of twey peres noþer haþ  power and heeste
ouer oþer."
1400    Apol. Lollard Doctr.  "Four þingis are requirid to ilk vowe þat
oblischiþ."
1460. G. Hay tr. Bk.  "King Alexander Sen he haid oblist king for king and
onlie man for  man."
1643. W. Prynne, Soveraigne Power Parl.

"Yet these laws would no ways oblige them, unless they voluntarily
consented and submitted to them in Parliament."

1673. A. Marvell, Rehearsal Transpros'd.

"You say they are no laws unless they oblige the conscience."

1722. W. Wollaston, Relig. of Nature.

"Two inconsistent laws cannot both oblige."

1962. J. L. Austin et al. How to do Things with Words. Thus ‘I promise  to..
’ obliges me—puts on record my spiritual assumption of a spiritual
shackle.  (J. L. Austin is parodying H. L. A. Hart -- they were discussing the
oblige-obligate distinction on a Saturday morning and it stuck with Austin).

"oblige" can be used of an oath, promise, law, command, etc.: to  bind (a
person). With to or infinitive now overlapping with other usages. It is  an
early use: 1450. Comm. on Canticles. "Gode deedis, in Goddis myraclis,
oblischen men moore to serve God."
1548. Hall's Vnion.

"The statutes and ordinaunces..dothe not oblige and bynde them to that
case, but in certayne poyntes."

1591. R. Bruce Serm. Sacrament.

"The command oblishes zou to obey."

1649. W. Ball Power of Kings.
"As the king's oath tieth and obligeth him to the people, certainly the
people's oath tieth and obligeth them to the king."
1741. I. Watts Improvem.  Mind. "Christianity so much the more obliges us
to invoke the assistance of the  true God."
1865. W. G. Palgrave Narr. Journey through Arabia. "The names of  those
whom vicinity obliges to attendance are read over morning and  evening."
1907. E. M. Forster Longest Journey.

"The letter censured the law of England, which obliges us to behave like
this."

1992. Fleet Street Rep.

"Neither those regulations nor any general  principle of
Community law obliges companies to do
any more than supply  the Commission with such information or
documentation as it has requested  under Article 11 of Regulation."

It is also used transitively, meaning to  make liable to punishment, etc.,
o make (a person) subject or liable to (or til)  a bond, penalty, etc. An
early use: 1340  Ayenbite.  Þe zenuolle  is y-obliged to zuo ane greate
gauelinge.
1390. Chaucer Parson's Tale:

"This cursed synne anoyeth hire soule, for he obligeth it to synne and  to
peyne of deeth."

1425. Castle of Love. "Alas, that synne oblisched vs  al til wikkid
hell-fire."
1533. J. Gau tr. C. Pedersen Richt Vay. "Quhen Adam  sinnit he oblist hime
self and al his offspring to the eternal deid."

1649. Bp. J. Taylor Great Exemplar.

"It is to be inquired how these became laws; obliging us to sin, if we
transgress."

After classical Latin sē obligāre (especially in  legal texts)., it can be
used reflexively, meaning to render oneself liable to  punishment, to
involve oneself in guilt or legal liability -- an early  use:

1382. Bible (Wycliffite, E.V.). "Who bacbiteþ to any thyng, he  oblischiþ
hymself in to tyme to comen" [L. ipse se in futurum obligat].
1880.  J. Muirhead tr. Gaius Institutes:

"Most agree that, as theft depends upon intent, such a
child can  only oblige himself in respect of
it when he is close upon  puberty."

An usage that interested Hart is utterances containing 'oblige'  where what
the utterer means is "to bind with physical ties and related senses".  Hart
prefers 'force' to oblige. Since he feels it a bit harsh that Tom obliged
Jerry to fall down the cliff. The gunman does not just TAKE the wallet, he
obliges the victim to give the wallet to him ("or else I'll shoot you" --
Hart's  example).

In the passive force, 'to be obliged' is similarly to be  physically
fettered, to be ensnared.
1382. Bible (Wycliffite, E.V.).  "Þei ben oblisht [L. obligati sunt] and
fellen."
1340. R. Rolle Psalter. "Thai ere obligid, and thai fell."

To oblige is used to mean to fasten or attach closely; to bind, tie up.

1656   T. Stanley, Hist. Philos.:
"Touching is a spirit,  extended from the Hegemonick part to the
superficies, so that it perceiveth that  which is obliged to it."
1718. P. Motteux, Don Quixote:
"As soon as  Maritornes had fastened him, she left him so strongly obliged,
that it was  impossible he should disengage himself."

"Oblige" can also mean 'to make indebted',  to bind or make  indebted by
conferring a favour; to gratify with or by doing something; to  perform a
service or kindness for, confer a favour on, to be of service to, to  benefit.
This is an early distinguished use: 1450   Rule St. Benet.  "If a woman
religion wil to hir craue, and hase non entisment þertil bot oblis  hir awn
wil,
fully resauyed sal scho not be.
1567. G. Turberville tr. Ovid  Heroycall Epist. "And oblige me unto thee by
this boone."
1610. J. Healey tr.  Theophrastus Characters. "If any man be obliged, he
will command him to remember  the favour."
1615. G. Sandys Relation of Journey. "Here take oh Zani this  ring of gold
and by giuing it to the sea, oblige it unto thee."
1626. T. Hawkins tr. N. Caussin Holy Court. "Pliny pronounceth that the
greatest divinity is to see a mortal man oblige his like."
1650. J. Row  &amp; J. Row Hist. Kirk Scotl. "The quhilk commissioun wald
be reformitt,  cousand the banchors heir oblis thame in euerting expences."
1670. G. Girard  Hist. Life Duke of Espernon. "That her Family had obliged
Hungary with a queen,  and France with a Gaston de Foix."
1704. W. M. Female Wits. "It having been  likely to have continued much
longer, had the company thought fit to oblige the  taste of the town in
general."
1775. R. B. Sheridan Rivals. "O pray, Faulkland, fight to oblige Sir
Lucius."
1841. Dickens Barnaby Rudge. "Oblige me with the milk."
1885. Law Rep.:  Queen's Bench.

"The customer requested the appellant, to oblige her, to send the loaves
home with other goods she had purchased."

1902. H. James, Wings of Dove:

"You say you can do exactly as you like. Oblige me therefore by being so
good as to do it."

1975. R. Davies World of Wonders. "None of them seemed anxious to  oblige
the escape-artist by tying him up."
1992. Great Lakes Fisherman.

"Lake Superior's Keweenaw Bay usually has sold ice in  January, and coho
salmon, brown trout and whitefish
oblige anglers with  steady action."

In a transitive way, it may mean, ff a service, kindness,  etc.: to
benefit, create a debt of gratitude in.

1638. J. L. G. de Balzac New Epist. "If this tendernesse proceeded  from a
soft effeminate spirit, yet it would oblige me infinitely unto  you."
1685. R. Baxter Paraphr. New Test. "The helping an eminent minister, may
oblige many Churches."
1769. J. Sinclair Corr. "Your early attention to this  application, will
much oblige, Sir, your very faithful and obedient  servant."

Colloquially, and in an intransitive way, 'oblige' is to  create a debt of
gratitude, to perform a service or kindness; to do  something desired or
pleasing, esp. to entertain a gathering.

1734. Pope Epist. to Arbuthnot.
"So obliging that he  ne'er oblig'd (properly rhymes with "besieg'd")
1865. Dickens, "Our Mutual Friend":
Sir, would you obleege with the  snuffers?

1888. Pall Mall Gaz.
"To-night, Mr. Grossmith and all the talents will oblige."
1897. Balzac  Cousin Pons
"He ‘obliged’ at the pianoforte."
1899   Westm. Gaz.
"A chairman was elected, obliged  with a song, and then called upon a
member of the company."
"When gents were  shy, or dry, or both, professional talent obliged."
1910. A. Bennett Clayhanger. "Gentleman all, Miss Florence Simcox the
champion clog-dancer of the Midlands, will now oblige."
1942. E. Waugh Put  out More Flags. "There it is, mum. I'm sorry not to
oblige."

In 1978, A.  S. Byatt, to show off slightly, used it in her "Virgin in
Garden":

"Once  or twice he beat with frantic fists in the panel of the door,
requiring answers,  exits, explanations, which Marcus did not oblige with."

As a  dysphemism (or euphemism, depending on your point of view, as Hart
would have  it) to oblige is to act as a charwoman or cleaner, or to clean for
a person; to  assist a person with housework.
1933. D. C. Peel Life's Enchanted Cup. "The  mother took in washing and
went out to ‘oblige’ and earned roughly 22s. a week  and some of her food."
1937. E. Garnett Family from One End St. "She  occasionally did odd work to
‘oblige’ Mrs. Theobald, the Vicar's wife."
1958. J. Cannan And be Villain. "I'm not in service. I oblige by the  hour."
1963. A. Lubbock Austral. Roundabout. "Twice a week a lady came to ‘oblige’
  in the house."
1972. ‘A. Armstrong’ One Jump Ahead. "A bachelor who paid well and wasn't
too fussy was a far better proposition than some others she had  ‘obliged’
."
1984. S. T. Warner, One Thing leading to Another.

"On Saturdays she  could not come in the morning at all but obliged for an
hour in the  evening."

In a transitive way, and in the passive voice, it means to be  indebted or
grateful to a person or (occas.) a thing. Chiefly formal.
1548.  Hall's Vnion. "Yf yt chaunce me by your ayde to recouer I shalbe so
muche  obliged and bounde unto you.
1619. Sir H. Wotton Let. "For the foresaid  resolution in youre Matie
ymplying the good of so many of your friends, they  held themselves eternally
obliged."
1693. R. Bentley Boyle Lect. "To those  Hills we are obliged for all our
Metals."
1726 . Four Years Voy. Capt. G. Roberts. "I told them, I was very much
obliged to them for their good-will."
1791. Gentleman's Mag. "The republick  of letters is infinitely obliged to
M. Coste for the pains he has  taken."
1836. Macaulay in G. O. Trevelyan Life and Lett. Macaulay.  "There is an
oversight in the article on Bacon, which I shall be much obliged to  you to
correct."

1881. Oscar Wilde, More Lett.:

"I am much obliged for the present of your exquisitely pretty book."

1927. A. Conan Doyle Case-bk. Sherlock Holmes. "I am exceedingly  obliged
to you for your co-operation."
1985. P. O'Donnell Dead Man's Handle.  "We are vastly obliged to you for
booking us into the Royal Oak tonight."
1990. L. Keane, False Impressions:

‘Well, they can just think  again,’ replied Rachel hotly,
‘and if anyone says anything to you on those  lines I would be obliged if
you would put them straight.’

With  "much" it means ‘I am very grateful’, ‘thank you very much’:

1788. J.  O'Keeffe, Farmer:

"Well, I'll speak to him."

"Much obliged—here he  is!"

1866. W. Collins, Armadale:

‘I have very few friends, Mr. Pedgift,’ returned Allan simply.
‘And  I am sure you are one of the few.’
‘Much obliged, Mr. Armadale.’

This  usage is common in America:

1931. W. Faulkner, "Sanctuary":

‘I'll give you a ride, this time,’ the driver said.
‘Much  obliged,’ Horace said.

1992. G. M. Fraser Quartered Safe out Here

‘W'eer the 'ell ye gan to ga in India—unless yer Jock theer, an' look
like a bloody wog.’
‘Much obliged.’ ‘No offence,  lad.’

Transitively, it just means to gratify, please, charm.

1652 Nicholas Papers:
"His Majesty's gracious letter was not only  most welcome but very
obliging."

1673. E. de Refuge Art of  Complaisance.
"Without which it is impossible to oblige in  conversation."

1679. G. Rose, Theatre of World Ded. "Perceiving many  things in it which
did oblige my fancy."
1709. Swift, Crit. Ess. "It was  reasonable to suppose, you would be very
much obliged with any thing, that was  new."
Transitively, it just means to constrain, to compel -- the John  Austin use:

To constrain, influence; to force, compel a  person, frequently in the
passive with to or infinitive.

1632. J.  Hayward, Eromena

"I will obey you, my Lord, for all things oblige  me so to do."

1641. R. Baillie Lett. and Jrnls

"That the oath which he had invented, obliged
the parliament to one accurate trial of all plotters."

1654. E. Wolley, Curia Politiæ

"See here the  reasons which obliged this illustrious
rrince to his resolution, and the true motives of so glorious an  action.

1675. J. D. Marwick, Extracts Rec. Burgh Glasgow:

"To obleidge all unfriemen to liver and loaden all veschellis at Port
Glasgow."

1715. D. Defoe, Family Instructor:

"From this time I resolve to oblige all my family to serve God."

1722. D. Defoe, Jrnl. Plague Year 176 :

"Self-preservation obliged the people to those severities."

1776.  Trial Maha Rajah Nundocomar for Forgery

"He is so weak that he has been  obliged
to be held up by people when he came out of the house."

1808. Z. M.  Pike Acct. Exped. Sources Mississippi

"I will give you a certificate from under my hand of
my having obliged you to march."

1875. W. D. Howells Foregone  Concl.

"It is flattering to a man to be indispensable
to a woman so long as he is not obliged to it."

1896. T. F. Tout Edward I

"The royal officials committed so  many misdeeds
that the king on his return was obliged to make a stern  example."

1905. E. Wharton, House of Mirth:

"I'm obliged to work  for my living."

1947. E. Waugh, Diaries:

"I dug the garden and  became so painfully stiff that I was obliged to
stop."

1987. M. Flannagan Trust

"I was obliged by every sense of  honour to help you."

Also John Austin's use, to oblige means to make imperative; to  necessitate.

1638. T. Herbert Some Yeares Trav.

"In some sort to oblige their dependance upon his acts and  fortunes."

1741. S. Richardson Pamela

"Policy obliged from the  dear gentleman this frankness and acknowlegement."

1866. Cornhill Mag.

"The custom of the Elizabethan theatre obliged this double  authorship."

But oblige can also mean to restrain from action, etc. This  is an early
use:

1661. Argyle's Last Will in Harl. Misc.

"Argyle being to oblige from the Rebellion then on Foot, created a
Marquis."

1674. E. E. Rich Minutes Hudson's Bay Co.
"That the seaman and all others be obliged from any trade in all kind of
furs."

1709. J. Johnson Clergy-man's Vade Mecum.
"To oblige the delinquent from the exercise of his function."

So when Hart makes the distinction, he has engaged in linguistic  botany,
as J. L. Austin had adviced, and arrived at the right conclusion. On the
other hand Grice was never so patient. He was doing linguistic botany for
'feel'  followed by an adjective. He started with the "A" and proceeded with
the
"B"  when he reached almost the end under the letter "B". He says: "When I
found that  'to feel byzantine' made perfect sense to me, I gave up". The
next Saturday  morning he went to senior J. L. Austin with the results: "In my
conceptual  analysis of 'feeling', I don't think I care a hoot what the
dictionary says."  "And that's where you made your BIG mistake." Grice
treasured
this reprimand  from Austin since he never learned what Austin thought was
Grice's _little_  mistake, if any!

Cheers,

Speranza