[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 15:44:09 +0100

So we have such profound and original insights as that a judge should
"exercise discretion," that she should have "reasons justifying the
decision" etc. Such things would surely never have occurred to us if Hart
hadn't pointed it out. As to whether judges 'make the law,' there is no
contradiction in saying that they do so in some cases, the question is
whether they should, and if so in what way. That question cannot be solved
by some conceptual analysis of the terms like laws, law-making etc. Trying
to milk the ordinary language for such insights seems rather like trying to
find out what a mechanic should do about a broken car by analyzing the
terms 'car' and 'mechanic.' Lingustic analysis may be expected to render
some grammar rules for talking about cars and mechanics, not instructions
for repairing cars.

O.K.