[lit-ideas] Re: Hard core ideology

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 17:44:05 -0400

Lawrence: Capital is a fact of all Liberal Democracies.  To rail against people
with money is futile.  A nation will bail out its major industries if it feels
their collapse will affect the nation’s stability.  It is the job of people we
vote into office to do the right thing.  If they haven’t, and many of the
people in office today seem in that category, then we should vote them out of
office at the earliest opportunity.

Yes, indeed.  The problem is not people ranting against people with capital.
The problem is that in Economics 101 we were all taught that when one purchases
stocks in a company, that helps the company capitalize, expand, create new
products through research and development.  As in, for example, American
creativity and research and development of a company like Apple.  What has
happened though is that the innovations have occurred here, but the making of
the products is promptly sent over seas.  The company and management becomes
rich, the stock holders do well, and we end up with millions of unemployed.
But enough of us are employed to buy the product, when combined with people
over seas, so that top management becomes very wealthy, ordinary people in
mutual funds make some money, and everyone else loses.  On way or another, we
pay for all those unemployed, through unemployment comp, food pantries,
shelters and prisons.

Re Marx, I believe he said that when women enter the labor force, companies
will hire them because they usually are paid less.  When children are employed,
school age, they are paid even less.  We have child labor laws, but lately, in
Maine, the governor raised the number of hours high school age kids can work.
They make even less.  So men loses their jobs to women, women lose their jobs
to children, and some jobs are lost by everyone here to everywhere in the world
where people work for even less.  To protect themselves, people form unions.
The business people destroy unions and buy robots.  Now, let's see, where is
the Bastille again?

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI