[lit-ideas] Re: Hard core ideology

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 23:12:00 +0100 (BST)

Lawrence, yes, we have been here before...

, but if
 there are large segments who won’t, if they form themselves into
enclaves and prey upon the weak, damage property and disrupt society,
something has gone seriously wrong
<<<<<<<<<<

The London (etc.) rioters/looters were not Muslim (I don't mean no Muslims took
part, it seems almost impossible that *none* took part).

I have
read that idealistic European leaders sought these immigrants to some
extent in order to make up the shortfall in entitlements due to
dwindling populations, but this doesn’t seem to be working.
<<<<<<<<<<

Wrong.  The Gastarbeiter programme came about in (West) Germany at a time of
economic boom and a shortage of unskilled workers (made worse by the Berlin
Wall's removing the supply of East German workers (Belgium and The Netherlands
had similar, smaller, programmes).  The "guest workers" came, by agreement with
the relevant government, from Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, and (later)
Yugoslavia.  There was nothing remotely idealistic about the programme/s and as
I have suggested, the host country did not expect and did not want the workers
to "integrate". The Turkish workers who remained indeed settled in ethnic
enclaves, but really, they had little choice.

 but
whenever I’ve Googled these subjects to see if these writings are
correct, I see photos of riots, people killed, cars were burned, etc.
<<<<<<<<<<<

in France? the Muslim rioters there rioted as the French riot.  In Britain?
The buildings burned to the ground, the cars and buses torched, the shops
looted?  Not the work of Muslims.

You googled; yes... I googled before replying, to try to confirm an account of
some young Muslims here finally losing patience -- in the face of the murder,
by some rioters, of three young Muslim men -- and throwing bricks at the bus of
some fascists returning from their march through an Asian neighbourhood  I
could not find the original mainstream news reports, instead, I found accounts
by the fascists and their friends.  If you google something like "Muslim
violence", you'll find reports of precisely that.

I have
read that a large part of the problem is that a majority of the common
people of Europe don’t want these immigrants moving into their nations.

there is a lot of anti-immigrant feeling, yes, stoked by lies.  If you were
trying to get welfare benefits and failing, and were told "immigrants" could
just turn up in the UK and get all the standard welfare benefits and more (a
gross lie) might you not turn against "immigrants"?

Why didn’t European leadership know that?  Why force unwanted
immigrants into a society that rejects them?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Britain needed workers, not to fund welfare benefits, as you seem to think, but
to do the jobs white Britons would not or could not do. (South Wales depended
on GPs -- primary care doctors -- from India.)  This is how post war
immigration began (it's a simplistic account, but it accords with the facts as
I know them)

The passengers on board the Windrush were invited to come to Britain after
World War Two, to assist with labour shortages.
               Many of the passengers had fought for Britain during the war.
               They later became known as the 'Windrush Generation.'
               Later, Enoch Powell, the Tory Health Minister from 1960-1963,
was to invite women from the Caribbean to Britain to train as
                  nurses.

               It was he who several years caused an uproar with his
anti-immigration 'rivers of blood' speech.
               In reality the response to the call for labour was minimal and
by 1958 only 125,000 workers had arrived in Britain from the
                  Caribbean islands.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

               Was it immoral to bring these workers into a society that
shunned and scorned them and on occasion met them with violence? A society
certain of whose pubs etc. bore signs saying "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish"?
Certainly.

  I’m not saying it is right
 that these Europeans reject them merely that this is the case to a
considerable extent.  European leadership seems bent on solving this
problem by making laws punishing the common people for not accepting
these immigrants.   Does that seem right to you?

Yes Lawrence, I support this country's anti-discrimination laws
wholeheartedly.  They should remain.  And they should be enforced regardless of
the "immigrant status" of the victim.  Yes.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

.