[lit-ideas] Re: Happy Thanksgiving...

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Veronica Caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:43:53 -0230

I'm wondering if there would be something culturally inappropriate about
Canadians extending their Thanksgiving greetings to Americans, and, indeed,
what the hell, to all peoples on the planet.

Or does the curtailment of the scope of one's greetings defend against charges
of ethnocentrism and colonialism? For example: "Merry Christmas, Moishe!" or
"Happy Easter Professor Rorty! Hristos Voskrese!" Something does appear to be
lost in the translation .....

Still getting paid to only ask questions, not answer them,

Walter O.