[lit-ideas] Re: Happy St. Andrew's Day

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:41:41 +0000 (GMT)

> To my left at the dinner was a Rich Person.  How could I tell?  By the way
> he kept dropping names, telling me how much of a "big spender" he was, and
> how poorly his children were doing in school.

This puzzles. The non-rich sometimes drops names and tell how much they spend
big, don't they? Do Rich People really give themselves away by complaining
about the poor performance of their children in school?

> "I was at somebody or other
> Churchill's twenty first birthday party.  Princess Margaret was there."

This could have been your cue to inquire whether he asked her was she fully
recovered from when she had to be rushed to hospital with severe burns after
having stepped into a bathtub of water? Whether she resented the occasional
newspaper rumours when she was in hospital that she occasionally drank too
much and this may have been contributory to why the bath had been run too
hot? And how the hell you manage to get *both* feet into a bathtub of water
before noticing any scalding sensation?

Donal
England

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com