[lit-ideas] Re: Happy New Year in the Old World

  • From: "Richard Henninge" <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 05:58:18 +0100

One would like to label the incipient 2011 heady, even giddy, what with the
news that the globe is picking up speed (or slowing down a teensy tad less
rapidly) to such an extent that they've had to pass on applying the regularly
scheduled addition of a leap second this year.

Giddy-app: there's my contribution to the language this day, saving some ad
person working on the account of the silicon jockeys the personal energy
expenditure to get a leg up on the competition.

To what degree could this revolutionary pace be due to the meteorological
equilibration processes that, for one, have produced a more streamlined surface
of the planet by melting the rugged and jagged ice caps to produce the
relatively flatter ocean surface? Or, more directly anthropomorphically
induced, along the lines of the Joni Mitchell line--"They paved paradise and
put up a parking lot"--global sealing and so, you know?

May this cheer ring out, to the New Worldlers, faster than the earth's advance.
Be good (as in "I'm good"), and of good cheer. And have a good and happy new
year.

Richard Henninge
University of Mainz