[lit-ideas] Re: Happy Holidays

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:07:41 +0100

On 25-Dec-11, at 9:35 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

J. bought two beers for me in Munich. One you have with a special kind of sausage--Chris Bruce may know this--which I think I can buy in the German deli here...for breakfast.

Living as I do well north of what is referred to here as 'der Weisswurstaequator' (the 'white sausage equator'; a seemingly moveable divide - depending on the location of the person using it - that separates the rest of Germany from Bavaria) I am afraid that neither I nor the German native whom I just asked can answer this query with authority. The German native opined that often Bavarian Weissbier ('white beer'; referred to outside of Bavaria also as 'Weizenbier' - 'wheat beer' - as it is made with wheat along with the water, barley, hops and yeast) is drunk with the aforementioned Weisswurst, a traditional Bavarian sausage which Wikipedia tells me is "made from very finely minced veal and fresh pork bacon. It is usually flavoured with parsley, lemon,mace, onions, ginger and cardamom, though there are some variations." (See Wikipedia's 'Weisswurst' entry for precise instructions on the various ways of preparing and eating it. Wikipedia's entry on 'Weissbier' will also inform you on many of the varieties, as well as some of the intricacies involved in pouring it.)

I will be consorting with some 'transplanted' Bavarians at the very latest on a traditional New Year's Day Hike (usually somewhere along the coast of the Baltic) so I will ask further - and (once I have extracted what I take to be the meaning from their heavily accented responses) report.

Chris Bruce,
breakfasting beerless
& sausageless today, in
Kiel, Germany