[lit-ideas] Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 15:57:08 EDT

My husband has a long habit of strongly distinguishing between "the best we
can" and "the best we know how".  I struggle to figure out what the
distinction exactly is, and how it applies in my everyday life of quotidian
minutiae.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Happy Hiroshima Day!
Date: 8/6/05 2:36:27 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy: Do you really think we flawed humans are  doing the best we
can?  To me that is a depressing  thought.

-----

Eric: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Yes I think we do  the best we can, not the best we can imagine. Far
from being depressing, it  is quite hopeful that we haven't destroyed
each other yet.

In the  early '80s I thought we were all doomed because of the
build-up in USSR/US  nuclear missiles. I mean, having two monkeys
with thousands of nuclear  weapons each is almost as bad as having a
thousand monkeys with two nuclear  weapons each. But the expected
technical systems failure resulting in  nuclear war did not happen. Yay!

So if the monkeys with nukes can prevent  the other monkeys from
acquiring nukes, maybe, just maybe, all the monkeys  will be able to
live until we all put our nukes away ... or develop even  more potent
planet-smashing  weapons.