[lit-ideas] Re: Happiness or Meaning?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:21:09 -0400

>>Are happiness and
meaning mutually exclusive?

What is happiness but a life exemplifying some virtue?

Integrity, courage, truthfulness, kindness, enthusiasm ...

And what is meaning in life but learning to live with some virtue? Not virtue as in codified rules but a mode of living in which we shed some of our earlier ignorance ... virtue painfully learned, painfully revised, slowly and partially achieved, undone and resurrected, tested, forged by our daily attempts to bear witness to our own existence? To pay attention. If only just to pay attention. To pay attention to the smallest thing.

Obviously reading too much Emerson lately,
Eric