[lit-ideas] Re: Happiness or Meaning?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:41:20 +0900

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:03 AM, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> What I was trying to suggest is that the works I cited simplify into
> equations what cannot and should not be so simplified.  They do this in
> order to make sentences engaging.  I wrote, "Fiddle with the formula and you
> have a sentence that plays."  "Plays," rather than, "is true."

That is certainly true. I wondered myself if too close an homage to Tolstoy
made the opening ring false.

> John persists, asking whether there is truth in the phrasing he quotes, and
> suggesting that we've never grown out of Romantic notions that suffering and
> meaning go hand in hand, and that happiness is an empty or lite state.  I
> have argued before, on this list I think, that happiness is the least
> well-examined subject in art.  We have lots and lots of art that takes
> misery and darkness on, and finds meaning in suffering.  We have very little
> art that shows us how complex our notions of happiness are.

Oh, yes, oh, yes, indeed. Care to elaborate on some of the complexities you
see? That would be a fascinating topic to discuss.

> I think happiness is a very difficult subject.  That's why I tried to write
> a novel about it.  I also tried a seminar on the history of happiness.  And
> I've been wondering about the subject in paintings.  I've no great success
> to report.  Angry brush strokes are easy; "happy, happy trees" easier yet.
>  Maybe somewhere between Sam Francis and Rothko, there's a way forward?

Please explain: Rothko I know; I have been in the Rothko room at the
Phillips in Washington, D.C.. But I am not familiar with Sam Francis.

John