[lit-ideas] Re: Happiness or Meaning?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 03:59:07 -0400

Contemporary concepts of happiness are not generally meditative;
people want to be part of a boating party of some sort.  And yet we have
this idea that hell is other people, so the people in the party must be
stripped to abstractions or colors if the space is to seem generally
welcoming.

David Hockney's _Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures)_ has it both ways.

But you're probably right in general. Chris Pugliese seems to share your view. In his painting "Ulysses and the Sirens,"

http://www.arcadiafinearts.com/exhibitions_pug.html

he places several of our mutual friends, very good friends in fact, in a terrible and tormented opposition. (Friends remain friends.) Yet if this is how a painter treats his friends ... well I'm glad I work in words.

EY