[lit-ideas] Hanging Erections, The Mouths of Babes, and Band Names

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:19:01 -0400

>JLS: Yes, and he liked westerns too.
>
> Incidentally, a typicaly way of killing a cowboy (or western (man)) I was
> told, is _hang_ him. In a tree.
>
> Now, the interesting thing is that if you go to those trees, they  smell.
>
> They smell of _ejaculate_.
>
> The reason was that the rope, making contact with the testicles (of the
> man hanging) provoked an _orgasm_ of sorts.

I always thought that hanging men got erections (and sometimes
apparently orgasms to boot) because the noose around their neck
stimulated the cerebellum and possibly triggered an autonomic
priapismic condition. It has nothing to do with testicles, I don't
think. It has to do with sudden snapping of the spinal nerves,
thereby, LOCKING the erectile reaction.

> --- Oddly, P. Stone's anecdote reminded me of the book, "Geary's  Son":
>
>         "A book where I'll record  all utterances by my son."
>
>          "The other day I  asked him, "Don't you have anything to say?"
>
>          "He said,  'anything'. I guess he is hiding something."

The thing that I found most amusing, and also amazing is that the deep
understanding of a word as an object shown in the smart-ass remark was
quite remarkable. This morning, while having his morning bottle of
milk, I  asked him how old he was. Not one to waste a moments sucking
time, he just nonchalantly held up two fingers in a peace sign. I
don't know what he does while I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure it's
something to do with research.

For those interested, although we didn't use any of the very generous
examples for band names given (I liked Eric's "Moan Tangle", but our
guitarist said "man, that sounds too porno-ish"), the following
evolution of names has been:

River's Edge
Whole Lotta Lead (led Zeppelin Tribute)
No Vacancy (I loved the fact that a 'hotel' had to put this on their
sign "Saturday: No Vacancy")
Hopeless (this was brief, when our guitarist and singer quit within two days)
We quickly and literally re-grouped and our current band name is "Ruckus".

Paul