[lit-ideas] Re: Hamas and Israel's "Right to Exist"

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 23:15:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> **Not this time, Simon, not so quickly. My
> apologies, Stan, for entering
> your portion of this debate. You are quite capable
> of defending yourself
> -- your writings and eloquence are superior to mine
> -- but portions of
> this tack are difficult to endure (in the face of
> Irene's
> unsophisticated (lack of) understanding coupled with
> Omar's constant
> diatribes against Jewish (yeah, not just Israeli)
> behaviour). Earlier
> this or last week, there was his jibe at Jews having
> a poor sense of
> humor.  On this list, no one seems to comb the press
> quite so carefully
> for any and all negative aspects of Jews, Jewry, or
> Israelis -- as does
> Omar.

*I comb the press for many issues, but the issue of
Israel/Palestine is one of the more important ones,
yes. I believe that I have the right to my personal
interests, and as an Israeli citizen it seems to me
natural that I should be more interested in Israel
than in, say, Kongo. (Though it is not the only
reason, there are also intellectual reasons.) I am not
extremely interested in Jewry elsewhere, except
insofar as this affects the Israel/Palestine issue. I
did post on the Israel lobby in the US recently (which
is not exclusively Jewish, btw), because this
definitely does have ramifications for the
Israel/Palestine issue, and perhaps for the other
issues in the ME as well.

The post on cartoons was not what you construe it to
be and I am not sure that you have actually read the
article.

As for Irene, I haven't noticed that she posted on
Israel much, if at all.

> **My own, absolute disagreement with the current and
> past few Israeli
> administrations, however, does in no way translate
> to the type of
> anti-Semitism evinced ( & expressed) by Omar.

*Well, thanks for this assurance that you are perfect,
Steven.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com