[lit-ideas] Halloween & the crow

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rhodesianridgebacks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:01:27 -0700

Someone asked me if I took the girls to the river on Halloween.  I did.  The
last 21 photos in the October 2011 gallery were of today's outing.  The last
six seem especially good of Sage:  http://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/

The watermelon and Squash fields have been picked almost clean.  All the
good stuff has been trucked off to markets, but broken watermelons and
squash are left and flies and other insects are everywhere.  At one point a
huge crow dived at Sage.  I was too concerned to take a photo, and since it
flew back up into a tree I didn't do anything.  We walked along and then the
crow did it again.

It was obviously an optical illusion.  I know crows don't get that large,
but it seemed half the size of Sage and it dived at her three times as we
walked along, passing about four feet above her - and Sage never looked up
once.

Maybe I should have yelled at Sage to watch out, but I didn't.  Sage weighs
a muscular 90 pounds.  I can't imagine any sort of bird seriously attacking
her, and since this is the behavior of a bird protecting eggs or young, I
suspect crow eggs or young to have been nearby, but unless they were on the
ground Sage would have been no threat to them.

Lawrence