[lit-ideas] Re: Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 19:50:48 EDT

Okay.  So apparently Tom Robbins was a Figure of Literature in the  Baby
Boomer adolescent age.  I agree, based on DR's advice, not to toss the  book,
but
to give it a chance reading first. Somehow the sight of the title  brought
back memories of assigned junior high reading -- "My Darling My  Hamburger" and
something odd about Marigolds.  I was busy trying to hide my  copy of Jane Eyre
under my school desk top.

I've always managed to escape my current culture by a few years.

It has its drawbacks.

Julie Krueger
whose husband (a verifiable, certifiable hippy, when I SHOULD have know  him,
of course knows Robbins.)
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Half Asleep In
Frog Pajamas  Date: 5/2/05 5:36:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Here you go, and I'll send you the answers to  those pages in the AB as soon
as I eat something.

bbiab,

erin

Fill in  Blanks:

Watch case

Watch tense

Watch gender

Watch  plurals

Conjugations:

Watch dürfen nicht versus müssen  nicht

Watch imperative forms

Specifically watch pronouns and  pronoun endings

Adjective Endings:

Watch case

Watch  gender

Watch plurals

Watch specifically genitive

Watch what  words the adjectives refer to - be careful

Beide + Alle

Mehrere +  Wenige + Andere + Einige

Es gibt + acc.

Adverbs do not take  endings

Places + er

Word order:

Watch word order in  dependent clause

Watch Time Reason Manner Place

Watch place of the  direct object

Negation:

Watch for position of  nicht

Watch for specific negations (mehr Lust versus keine Lust  mehr)

Watch for nicht versus kein(e)

Watch for adjective endings  once negated

Reflexive Verbs:

Watch for them

Watch  for dative versus accusative

Dative (vorstellen, überlegen,  leisten)

Dative (indirect object, object of a dative verb, object of a  dative
preposition)

Prepositions:

Watch  Da+compounds

Watch Zu+infinitives

Watch for amalgamated  prepositions + article (im)

Watch for double prepositions (bei versus  über)

Double meaning of ausgehen von + d (to act on the assumption  that)

Look at the case of what follows for determining either dative or  accusative
prep + verb

Relative Pronouns:

Reverse  sentences to double check

Watch specifically for genitive

Watch  for case

Watch for plurals

Watch for Wo-compounds - people versus  things (Wovor haben sie, Vor wem
haben sie)

Wo refers to a whole  situation

Was refers to indefinites, things, which (was im x ist / was  sehr x war /
was sehr x ist)

Da-compounds:

If referring  forward can be separated by a comma

If referring backwards must be  separated by semi-colon and start a new
Hauptsatz

Passive:

For the love of god pay attention to  word order

Passive is past participles

Wird + pp

Wurde +  pp

Ist + pp + worden

War + pp + worden

Wird + pp +  werden

Modals:

Present is Muss + pp + werden

Past  is Musste + pp + werden

Sub Regular:

Present is würde +  pp

Past is wäre + pp + worden

Sub Modals:

Present  is Müsste + pp + werden

Subjunctive:

Two present forms:  irregular and the würde construction + infinitive

Past form is  appropriate auxillary verb plus the past participle (careful
with  auxillaries)

Sub Modals:

Present is Müsste +  infinitive

Past is Hätte + infinitive + modal  infinitive