[lit-ideas] Re: Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 15:20:38 -0700

on 5/2/05 2:51 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx at JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Oh my God.  He even knows the author's name.  I had hoped the  object on my
> bookshelf was the only such piece in existence.  That it had  traveled here
> somehow from Douglas Adam's Galaxy via Erin and Andreas' time  machine.

I was under the impression that I owned all of Tom Robbins' works, but a
quick search through detrius and piles suggests that the last one I bought
was "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates."  Since I still haven't
finished, "Skinny Legs and All," and I haven't even started "Fierce
Invalids..." I'll resist suggesting that you send me "Half Asleep..."  Being
two behind suggests waning interest.

How to convince you to have a run at reading "Half Asleep" when I haven't?
By appealing Heritage and Tradition perhaps?  Go back several books to see
what Robbins had to say in "Jitterbug Perfume" about that most noble of
Eastern European vegetables, the beet.

"The beet is the most intense of vegetables.  The raddish, admittedly is
more feverish, but the fire of the radish is a cold fire, the fire of
discontent not of passion.  Tomatoes are lusty enough, yet there runs
through tomatoes an undercurrent of frivolity.  Beets are deadly serious."

Robbins wouldn't know a plot if it hit him on the nose.  But on the subject
of the relationship of nothing to everything, he can be marvelous.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon