[lit-ideas] Re: Guppy

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:38:05 -0500

Robert: ... the same kind of wretched steam heat that Eric mentions. It came from a large pipe, at least a foot across...

This is not the foot-wide pipe of steam heat from the Lower East Side. This is a steam radiator operated from a central thermostat which I presume is located in an exposed, shadowy part of the roof, many floors above, where osprey dare not nest in the biting winds summering from Mount Blanc. The super can either turn the radiator OFF or leave it ON. The tropical devil I know seems more welcoming than the possible devil in a lake of ice, so I do not ask the super to stop the infernal machine. Heat costs me nothing. The space costs over $1500 a month. But heat costs nothing. Even now the windows are open. Even now I wear a T-shirt and drink ice tea. Soon I will get my ukulele out of the closet.

"Maika'i Kaua'i," "Mele No Ko'olau," and "Hanohano Waimea" will echo in the calefactory glare.