[lit-ideas] Re: Gun Control

  • From: "JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:33:09 -0500

"Zip guns"?  "Reloading"?  I don't understand -- after you fire a shot, you
can "re-use" the bullet?  But doesn't the bullet explode when shot?

Julie Krueger
blissfully ignorant re. guns

On 4/18/07, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Exactly right.  Anyone who does a lot of shooting probably has reloading
equipment.   When I was working at McDonnell Douglasm a former naval officer
& I used to go to the Long Beach Police Pistol Range every Thursday.  Ammo
gets expensive even if it doesn't cost $5000 a round; so we did our own
reloading.  I also reloaded shotgun shells during a time when I was into
bird hunting.  Yes, it's easy to do.

Although I think gun-control a bad idea for several reasons, as a
practical matter there doesn't seem any good way to eliminate either guns or
ammo.  One can buy bullet molds and make ones own bullets.  All one needs is
the lead which is readily available.  Shells of most kinds can be reused.
The items that must be purchased are gun-powder and primers.  I don't know
how one could make smokeless powder or primers, but if Iran can make nukes,
I imagine some highchool chemistry major could probably figure out how to
make smokeless powerder and primers.

And thern there is always black-powder.  People could revert to
black-powder and flint.

As to the guns themselve, zip guns can be made rather simply.

Lawrence

From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, Apr-18-2007 5:41 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Gun Control
> tax the ammunition so that every single bullet costs $5000.

you forget that people can reload ammunition. it's fairly easy to do.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com