[lit-ideas] Re: Gummint Time

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:55:08 -0800

I have a Big Brother clock. Tired of each clock and watch in the house showing a slightly different time, and in the absence of the dear old homeland's famous time lady on the telephone--in the Britain of my childhood they had a lady who would say, "At the third stroke, it will be nine fifty nine and fifteen seconds...pip...pip...pip, at the third stroke...--tired of all this and the absence, I bought an "atomic clock."

I read the instructions to see if would say blow up small cities I didn't like very much, but no, all it would do is be exactly right, courtesy of Colorado. The clock takes in some kind of signal and adjusts itself, like a guy coming out of the loo.

The thing is, it hasn't. We're now on George Bush new-and-improved gummint daylight savings time and what time is it Colorado-wise and atomically? Old time, the time of yore, an hour behind or more.

So what to do? Climb on a chair and adjust the thing. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. There's no adjustments allowed. On the back you can set time zones, but not time. Time is not within the purview of the consumer. Time cannot be improved upon. Time is right because gummint is right. It comes from Colorado and is not be messed with.

Give me freedom or give me the time of day.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon