[lit-ideas] Re: Grice's Pet: Was A Dog Is A Dog Is A Dog

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 21:38:11 +0000 (UTC)

what's offered here as something from 'Perry's hymn,' are in fact the
beginning of Blake's 'Jerusalem,' other lines from which provided the title of
a well-known British film about running.>
Surprised JLS didn't challenge Robert on this, but it was in fact a well-known
British film about implicature.*
Dnl*The screenwriter, Colin Welland, proved the point with his "The British are
coming" acceptance speech at the Oscars, one of the most implicatural of all
such speeches (despite fierce competition over the years, for example,
Paltrow's massive implicature that there was no one in the whole wide world
whom she didn't wish to tearfully thank).

On Thursday, 22 October 2015, 0:31, david ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Oct 21, 2015, at 3:35 PM, (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"the breakthrough also raises the  prospect of customized pets."

Back in Oxford he had a canary, a customised pet bird if ever there was
one. He also could work on the implicature:

Thinking about customized pets, at a stop light, I scanned the bumper of the
car in front of me.  It had a sticker, “Parrots for Patriots.”  I went to the
website.  The idea is that traumatized birds and veterans might do well
together.

http://parrotsforpatriots-org.nwbirdrescue.com

I trust that mentioning that the website exists is exempt from the legal
warning on the home page: THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL AND
PROTECTED BY PRIVACY LAWS. THIS DOCUMENT AND ALL OF ITS CONTENTS ARE
PROPRIETARY IN NATURE. THIS INFORMATION IS PRIVATE IS INTENDED FOR USE BY THE
APPLICANT, AND PARROTS FOR PATRIOTS USE ONLY. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED USER
OF THIS INFORMATION, PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT YOU ARE LEGALLY PROHIBITED FROM
RETAINING ANY INFORMATION, OR USING, COPYING, DISTRIBUTING, OR OTHERWISE
DISCLOSING THIS INFORMATION IN ANY MANNER.

David Ritchie,
South of the North