[lit-ideas] Grice's Pain In The Neck

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 08:37:54 -0500

Cfr. Wittgenstein's toothache.

In a message dated 1/26/2015 7:53:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes in "Can I Have A Pain In My Tail?"
"The mind is  not supposed to be spatial only temporal, as Schopenhauer
observed. The problem  is not solved by refering these sensations to some body
part other than the one  in which are apparently felt."

This below may help.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/at/wittgens.htm

Cheers,

Speranza

---

Wittgenstein says:

"We begin with the question whether the toothache someone else has is the
same as the toothache I have."

"Is his toothache merely outward behaviour?"

"Or is it that he has the same as I am having now but that I don't know it
since I can only say of another person that he is manifesting certain
behaviour?"

"A series of questions arises about personal experience."

"Isn't it thinkable that I have a toothache in someone else's tooth?"

"It might be argued that my having toothache requires my mouth."

"But the experience of my having toothache is the same wherever the tooth
is that is aching, and whoever's mouth it is in."

"The locality of pain is not given by naming a possessor."

"Further, isn't it imaginable that I live all my life looking in a mirror,
where I saw faces and did not know which was my face, nor how my mouth was
distinguished from anyone else's?"

"If this were in fact the case, would I say I had toothache in my  mouth?"

"In a mirror I could speak with someone else's mouth, in which case what
would we call me?"

"Isn't it thinkable that I change my body and that I would have a feeling
correlated with someone's else's raising his arm?"

"The grammar of "having toothache" is very different from that of "having a
 piece of chalk", as is also the grammar of "I have toothache" from "Moore
has  toothache"".

"The sense of "Moore has toothache" is given by the criterion for its
truth."

"For a statement gets its sense from its verification."

"The use of the word "toothache" when I have toothache and when someone
else has it belongs to different games."

"Since the criteria for "He has toothache" and "I have toothache" are so
different, that is, since their verifications are of different sorts, I might
 seem to be denying that he has toothache."

"But I am not saying he really hasn't got it."

"Of course he has it."

"It isn't that he behaves as if he had it but really doesn't."

"For we have criteria for his really having it as against his simulating
it."

"Nevertheless, it is felt that I should say that I do not know he has  it."

"Suppose I say that when he has toothache he has what I have, except that I
 know it indirectly in his case and directly in mine."

"This is wrong."

"Judging that Moore has toothache is not like judging that Moore  has money
but I just can't see his billfold."

"Suppose it is held that I must judge indirectly since I can't feel Moore's
 ache."

"Now what sense is there to this?"

"And what sense is there to "I can feel my ache"?"

"It makes sense to say "His ache is worse than mine", but not to say "I
feel my toothache" and "Two people can't have the same pain"."

"The question whether someone else, say, Moore, has what I have when I have
 toothache may be meaningless, though in an ordinary situation it might be
a  question of fact, and the answer, "Moore has not", a statement of fact."

"But the philosopher who says of someone else, "Moore has not got what I
have", is not stating a fact."

"He is not saying that in fact someone else, say Moore, has not got
toothache."

"It might be the case that someone else has it."

"And the statement that he has it has the meaning given it, that is,
whatever sense is given by the criterion."

"The difficulty lies in the grammar of "having toothache"."

"Nonsense is produced by trying to express in a proposition something which
 belongs to the grammar of our language."

"By "I can't feel Moore's toothache" is meant that I can't try."

"It is the character of the logical cannot that one can't try."

"Of course this doesn't get you far, as you can ask whether you can try to
try. In the arguments of idealists and realists somewhere there always
occur the  words "can", "cannot", "must"."

-- cfr. Grice: CAN I have a pain in my tail?

"Another way in which the grammars of "I have toothache" and "Moore has
toothache" differ is that it does not make sense to say "I seem to have
toothache", whereas it is sensible to say "Moore seems to have  toothache"."

"The statements "I have toothache" and "Moore has toothache" have different
 verifications."

"But "verification" does not have the same meaning in the two cases. The
verification of my having toothache is having it. It makes no sense for me to
 answer the question, "How do you know you have toothache?", by "I know it
because I feel it"."

"In fact there is something wrong with the question; and the answer is
absurd."

"Likewise the answer, "I know it by inspection"".

"The process of inspection is looking, not seeing."

"The statement, "I know it by looking", could be sensible, e.g.,
concentrating attention on one finger among several for a pain."

"But as we use the word "ache" it makes no sense to say that I look for
it."

"I do not say I will find out whether I have toothache by tapping my
teeth."

"Of "Moore has toothache" it is sensible to ask "How do you know?", and
criteria can be given which cannot be given in one's own case."

"In one's own case it makes no sense to ask "How do I know?""

"It might be thought that since my saying "Moore seems to have toothache"
is sensible but not my saying a similar thing of myself, I could then go on
to  say "This is so for him but not for me"."

"Is there then a private language I am referring to, which he cannot
understand, and thus that he cannot understand my statement that I have
toothache?"

"If this is so, it is not a matter of experience that he cannot. He is
prevented from understanding, not because of a mental shortcoming but by a fact
 of grammar. If a thing is a priori impossible, it is excluded from
language."

"How am I to persuade someone that "I feel my pain" does not make  sense?"

"If he insists that it does he would probably say "I make it a rule that it
 makes sense"."

"Then I would raise many questions, for example, "Does it make sense to say
 I have toothache but don't feel it?"

"Suppose the reply was that it did."

"Then I could ask how one knows that one has it but does not feel  it."

"Could one find this out by looking into a mirror and on finding a bad
tooth know that one has a toothache?"

"To show what sense a statement makes requires saying how it can be
verified and what can be done with it."

Just because a sentence is constructed after a model does not make it part
of a game. We must provide a system of applications.

"I have remarked that it makes no sense to say "I seem to have toothache",
which presupposes that it makes sense to say I can or cannot, doubt it."

"The use of the word "cannot" here is not at all like its use in "I cannot
lift the scuttle"."

"This brings us to the question: What is the criterion for a sentence
making sense?"

"To return to the differing grammars of "I have toothache" and "Moore has
toothache", which show up in the fact that the statements have different
verifications and also in the fact that it is sensible to ask, in the latter
case, "How do I know this?", but not in the former."

"The solipsist is right in implying that these two are on different
levels."

"I have said that we confuse "I have a piece of chalk" and "He has a piece
of chalk" with "I have an ache" and "He has an ache"."

"In the case of the first pair the verifications are analogous, although
not in the case of the second pair."

"The function "x has toothache" has various values: Moore, Russell, etc.
But not I."

"I is in a class by itself."

"The word "I" does not refer to a possessor in sentences about having an
experience, unlike its use in "I have a cigar"."

"We could have a language from which "I" is omitted from sentences
describing a personal experience. {Instead of saying "I think" or "I have an
ache"
one might say "It thinks" (like "It rains"), and in place of "I have an
ache", "There is an ache here"."

"Under certain circumstances one might be strongly tempted to do away with
the simple use of "I"."

"We constantly judge a language from the standpoint of the language we are
accustomed to, and hence we think we describe phenomena incompletely if we
leave  out personal pronouns."

"It is as though we had omitted pointing to something, since the word "I"
seems to point to a person."

"But we can leave out the word "I" and still describe the phenomenon
formerly described. It is not the case that certain changes in our symbolism
are
really omissions."

"Now if it is logically impossible for another person to have toothache, it
 is equally so for me to have toothache."

"To the person who says "Only I have real toothache" the reply should be:
"If only you can have real toothache, there is no sense in saying 'Only I
have  real toothache'."

"Either you don't need 'I' or you don't need 'real' ... 'I' is no longer
opposed to anything."

"You had much better say 'There is toothache'."

"The statement, "Only I have real toothache," either has a common-sense
meaning, or, if it is a grammatical proposition, it is meant to be a statement
 of a rule."

"The solipsist wishes to say, "I should like to put, instead of the
notation 'I have real toothache' 'There is toothache' "."

"What the solipsist wants is not a notation in which the ego has a
monopoly, but one in which the ego vanishes."

"Were the solipsist to embody in his notation the restriction of the
epithet "real" to what we should call his experiences and exclude "A has real
toothache" (where A is not he), this would come to using "There is real
toothache" instead of "Smith (the solipsist) has toothache"."

"Getting into the solipsistic mood means not using the word "I " in
describing a personal experience."

"Acceptance of such a change is tempting] because the description of a
sensation does not contain a reference to either a person or a sense  organ."

"The locality of a pain has nothing to do with the person who has it: it is
 not given by naming a possessor. Nor is a body or an organ of sight
necessary to  the description of the visual field."

"The same applies to the description of an auditory sensation. The truth of
 the proposition, "The noise is approaching my right ear"" -- as he is
facing the  music, as it were, "does not require the existence of a physical
ear; it is a  description of an auditory experience, the experience being
logically  independent of the existence of my ears."

"We can talk of a toothache without there being any teeth."

"Pains have a space to move in, as do auditory experiences and visual
data."

"It is imaginable that I should have toothache in Moore's  tooth."

"The solipsist does not go through with a notation from which either "I" or
 "real" is deleted. He says "Only my experiences are real", or "Only I have
real  toothache", or "The only pain that is real is what I feel"."

"This provokes someone to object that surely his pain is real."

"Although the solipsist is right in treating "I have toothache" as  being
on a different level from "Moore has toothache", his statement that he has
something that no one else has, and that of the person who denies it, are
equally absurd."

"There are two kinds of use of the word "I" when it occurs in answer to the
 question "Who has toothache?"."

"For the most part the answer "I" is a sign coming from a certain  body."

"If when people spoke, the sounds always came from a loudspeaker and the
voices were alike, the word "I" would have no use at all: it would be absurd
to  say "I have toothache"."

"The speakers could not be recognised by it."

"Although there is a sense in which answering "I" to the question, "Who has
 toothache?", makes a reference to a body, even to this body of mine, my
answer  to the question whether I have toothache is not made by reference to
any  body."

"I have no need of a criterion."

"My body and the toothache are independent."

"Thus one answer to the question "Who?" is made by reference to a body, and
 another seems not to be, and to be of a different kind."

"The method of analysing dreams is not analogous to a method for finding
the causes of stomach-ache."

"It is a confusion to say that a reason is a cause seen from the inside. A
cause is not seen from within or from without. It is found by experiment.
In  enabling one to discover the reasons for laughter psychoanalysis provides
merely  a representation of processes."